Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing belt damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:48 PM
HCF Member
Default Timing belt damage?

I have a 91 civic Lx with a 1.5 liter engine. Normally I am a maintenance freak but some how the timing belt snuck up on me and I didnt get it replaced on time. Well I was doing 75 and the car quit, before I knew what was wrong I let the clutch out several times turning the bottom end in the process trying to start it. I discovered the timing belt is busted and I am worried about valve or piston damage.

I have a few questions. I already bought a new belt and water pump.

Should I replace them and hope my valves are ok?

Do the pistons get damaged or is it only the valves that can get bent?

What is the general cost for an engine shop to rebuild the head if I pull it and reinstall it?

Should I just install the new parts and do a compression check ?

My buddy has a head off a newer civic with the d16y7 engine, will this work on my block, or will it cause any problems like lower my compression?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Timing belt damage?

Another question is, If the valves were bent in the process of the belt breaking, would I hear anything?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

I know when my belt when on my D-series a looong time ago the pistons got jacked and I bent a couple valves. Truthfully itd be easier to just by a whole new motor. Pretty much any complete D-series Longblock can be had for less than 500 bucks.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

just put the belt on and crank the engine over by hand to see if it binds, i threw a belt on my z6 once and it barely nicked a valve, scraped the head anyways. you could just find another good used head mill it, new headgasket and away you go for around $100 if you do it yourself

Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 AM
HCF Member

last year i had aacura integra with a b blockcome in the shop with a blown belt , told the guy valves may be bent , put a belt on it , car ran fine , go figure

Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya just HOPE you didnt hit any valves but most likely it did but if your REALY LUCKY thiers a chance that the valves where just right and the pistons cleared.... BUT its preaty rare from what ive heard..... check it out like he said by turning it over by hand and if you feel binding very bad.... youll have to pull the head to discover all the damage..

but like already said a replacement motor can be just about as cheap...... i found a D16z6 localy for only 250bucks complete motor minus tranny cause i didnt want it! looking back on it tho i should have bought it as well just for the hell of it.
i also lucked out and the engine is in great condition!

it just depends if you want to put forth the time to fix it or just sell it AS-IS to some one that wants to do a full motor swap...

Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: browncivic

I have a few questions. I already bought a new belt and water pump.

Should I replace them and hope my valves are ok?
no

ORIGINAL: browncivic

What is the general cost for an engine shop to rebuild the head if I pull it and reinstall it?
more than your car is worth

Old 10-28-2007, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

Ok spent some time today on it and cant get the harmonic balancer bolt to budge loose. Broke the pulley in the process. I tried several methods, 1/2 inchinpact gun, breaker bar, etc, just cant seam to get the motor to not turn when loosening the bolt any ideas?

Old 10-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

borrow a larger impact gun... or beter air source with my dads snapon impact gun and 120PSI of air it took it right off without any effort!

Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM

i think 1999 and lower all d heads can be mixed match a y7 head will fit on a 1.5l d motor from a earlyer year all desides the d16a1 witch is the 87-88 ls integra motor \

not sure on the compression wise got to look up a compression calc.

Quick Reply: Timing belt damage?