Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

True Noob Question-LS/VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Default True Noob Question-LS/VTEC?

Sorry but I have a noob question, what is an LS/VTEC? I am looking at a '95 Civic EG6 with an LS/VTEC in it. Thanks for the help guys and God bless.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: True Noob Question-LS/VTEC?

an ls vtec is a sort of mini me swap. Basically its the integra 1.8 b18a or b non vtec bottom end with a DOHC VTEC head generally a b16a head because it flows so well. It can make very decent horsepower however you must watch out because ls bottom ends were not meant for 7000+ revs like b16a and b18c bottom ends. They can easily be built to take those revs and will last a LITTLE while with the stock ls bottom end. if it is really an ls vtec then it will say DOHC Vtec on the valve cover otherwise its just an ls engine. I suggest you make sure its in good condition and builtcorrectlyor else your in for major problems with that car. Hope whatever you do it goes well.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Super Cereal Admin

The ls motor is the b18b motor, from an acura integra ls. From the factory, it's non-vtec, so what some people (well, a good many people) do is take a vtec head from a b16 or a b18c and put it on the non-vtec block, essentially making it a vtec motor. Generally, ls/vtecs are great, reliable motor, but they aren't meant to be revved as high as their factory-vtec counterparts, so if revved high on a daily basis, they become less reliable.

(and thank you for being able to spell vtec correctly )

*edit: crap, bcivic beat me to it [8D]

Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks to you both for the info. What upgrades should be done to the bottom end to make it more reliable? Also should there be anything done to the ECU to make the VTEC run? or run better?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:45 AM

Here is a list of all the mods that where done with the swap. Does this seem like it'll be reliable and run good?

MODS:
96 ls block
Itr oil pump
Itr water pump
Arp hardware
Shotpeened ls rods
Jdm p30 pistons
99-00 b16 head
00 itr cams
Blox intake manifold
Type r throttle body
Dc sports 4-1 with 2.5 collector
Short ram intake
99-00 si tranny with ls 5th
Fidanza 7.5 flywheel
Act heavy duty p/p
Act solid 6 puck
Weapon r radiator
Ngk wires
Spoon carbon kevlar spark plug wire cover
Skunk 2 s/s with skunk 2 ****
Testpipe
Skunk 2 cat back

Old 05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Cereal Admin

since the swap's already done and in the car, I'm willing to bet he already did the wiring (I believe there's only a few wires to run anyway) for vtec.

Looking at the mods, he already touched on the bottom end a little. I'm not sure how the stock crankshaft will hold up though. By "less reliable", I didn't mean an ls/vtec will fall apart if you rev it high, I'm just saying it's obviously not going to last as long as a b18c revved to the same rpm (since the b18c was basically designed to have the s**t kicked out of it by 16-24 yo males lol).

Overall, I'd say it will be a reliable engine, just don't rev the p**s out of it in every gear every chance you get.

And that b16/ls transmission is a good combo... you get the quick acceleration from the b16 transmission, but then throw it in 5th and the rpms will be nice and low for cruising

*edit: forgot the "t" in bet, and I figured it'd confuse you if I didn't fix it lol

Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Yeah, from what I've read so far that combo is a pretty good set up if done right. I haven't done any research on that swap so I was just wondering what I should be looking for and what might need to be done so thanks for all the help. Now price wise is the ls/vtec swap more than say a stright b16 swap?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: BuckHijo
Now price wise is the ls/vtec swap more than say a stright b16 swap?
I don't know from experience, but I'm going to say probably... especially since you have to piece it together.