Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

turbo'd d15

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:12 PM
HCF Member
Default turbo'd d15

I have a turbo'd d15 running a 14b turbo. There are a few questions I have before I re-do the internals. I have 460cc injectors, but I think it has the stock intake manifold still, should I get a better intake manifold? I have a custom air intake already too.

For the internals, what should I change? I was thinking cam and valve springs, can I get better pistons too? Where can I get these parts and how many hours labour would you think it would take a mechanic to install the cam new internals?

Also I know i'll need my ECU tuned after, its already socketed with Uberdata. After these parts are isntalled will I be able to drive it to the dyno shop or will it run bad?

Thanks alot!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: turbo'd d15

what d15 do you have?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_44..._4/key_/tm.htm

I helped you on this allready, the 16g will mount right up.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:53 AM
HCF Member

It's the JDM D15B. Ya thanks for that I kinda forgot about that thread. I started messing aroudn with the boost controller tonight and I'm doing about 7psi with my current settings at 80% boost so I think I could max this turbo out at around 10 psi. I'm leaving it around 7 until I get the new internals though.

Is this the cam you reccomended?
http://www.vtengines.com/store/index...;products_id=9
whats the difference from that one and this one
http://www.vtengines.com/store/index...products_id=16
Are you sure that will fit in my engine? How many hours of labour do most mechanics charge for a cam and valve springs and retainers? Also why would I get a N/A cam on a turbo's engine? Shouldn't I get a turbo cam,whats the difference?
Sorry for all the questions. Thanks guys

Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 AM
HCF Member

your best bet is to get a d16z6 that needs a rebuild. then put in tunertoys.com rods with vitara pistons. use the d15b cam dont worry about the intake or anything else. as long as you dont raise the boost level you can drive the car to the tuner and then have it tuned for whatever that turbo will push. 10-12psi is probobly all that turbo is going to be good for. even then you will be getting alot of hot air. do you have a good intercooler?

i have 2 reasons for saying to get the z6(i know you are wondering), one is so you can have the d15b as a backup just incase you ruin something. d15b-z6 swap is very easy and can be done in one day by almost anyone. 2nd is the d15b is hard to find parts for to build it. z6 parts are very easy to find and im sure you can get a running long block for $200-300.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

its www.tunertoys.zoovy.com

Old 08-14-2007, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

must have changed since i was there last. either way a search would bring it up

Old 08-19-2007, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

I don't want to do an engine swap I just want to keep my d15b. It's the JDM Vtec model, I don't think parts are that hard to find for it. I can buy online, I just need some help picking the parts.
To Marty:
Is this the cam you reccomended?
http://www.vtengines.com/store/index...;products_id=9
whats the difference from that one and this one
http://www.vtengines.com/store/index...products_id=16
Are you sure that will fit in my engine and shouldn't I get a turbo cam for my turbo engine? How many hours of labour do most mechanics charge for a cam and valve springs and retainers?
Sorry again for all the questions and thank you for all your help.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:04 PM
HCF Member

any z6 cam will fit your d15b. they are basiclly identical.

there are parts available for the d15b but they cost more than a built z6 swap and since you will have to pull your engine anyway you might as well just put a z6 in. your wallet and frustration level will thank you

the n/a cam will be just fine if you arent going for a huge amount of power. they work just fine if you are looking for more power than the stock cam can make

Old 08-19-2007, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

Ya but is this z6 vtec? Does it have as much hp and torque as a jdm d15b?
I don't know why I would get an engine swap, I can't see it being cheaper than just building my engine. Would it be just the block or the head too?
So if I got a turbo cam would I get more power than a N/A cam?

Quick Reply: turbo'd d15