HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Vtec Conroller? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/vtec-conroller-44598/)

2000 Si Newbi 05-18-2007 01:12 PM

Vtec Conroller?

I heard about this for the first time today. Only thing i heard is that it sets where your vtec kicks in. Mine is at about 5500rpm right now.
So question if you were to set it so your vtec would come into its own at like say 4500rpm would it make your car faster? Would it be bad for the engine(cams and stuff) to change it from stock setting?

blackmetal619 05-18-2007 01:45 PM

RE: Vtec Conroller?

well just remember, setting vtec earlier wont make you faster. Honda set it at the best possible time for a reason. I cant really go in depth, someone else will. Just dont mess with vtec

Skrapdoggydog 05-18-2007 01:59 PM

imo vtec controllers are a waste of money. the engineers at honda set the vtec engagement point at the optimum rpm for your engine, why change it? every sweet ass honda i've ever seen whether it is n/a orFIdoesn't ever have one. the cars that i do see have themarealways POS!spend your money on something else.

Remmy 05-18-2007 02:33 PM

Hey! I have one[>:]

Lol. But really, I have one built into my turbo setup but even I dont touch it.

2000 Si Newbi 05-18-2007 03:10 PM

well i tried to think about it. If the vtec kicks in earlier... then wouldnt that mean you get up to max hp faster? i forgot wat it was for the si.do i have the whole concept wrong when they say something like 160hp@7200rpm.

Tegls1 05-19-2007 09:20 PM

You will not get more power from your car or go faster actually you will loose power between 4500 to 5500 rpms. The factory vtec setting is program at that rpm because that is when the 2 HP line cross. That way you get a smooth vtec engagement and you get the full potential of your motor. If you you want get some dino pics of a vtec engine during vtec and without vtec. The engine produces more horse power when not in vtec under 5500 rpms the when in vtec. When the engine revs past 5500 rpms the engine starts to create more horsepower in vtec then when not. The vtec controller is actually not useless but is of no use on cars with stock cams. The vtec controller should be used with aftermarket high lift cams. the reason they are used is because both the smaller and larger lobes are enlarged to create more horsepower. If happen to have aftermarket cams the dino your car and where the 2 horsepower lines cross is where you should set you new vtec changeover point.

dragoncivicsi 05-20-2007 10:07 AM

nice info... i want a new cam an a controller now.;)

Marty 05-20-2007 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Tegls1

If happen to have aftermarket cams the dino your car and where the 2 horsepower lines cross is where you should set you new vtec changeover point.
ok I'll get right on that:eek:

All vtec does is make it available to run larger duration lobes on the top end w/o screwing up milage and driveability in the lower rpms.