HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   VTEC swap help (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/vtec-swap-help-27861/)

Marknhl 08-25-2006 12:47 PM

VTEC swap help

Ok guys, here's the dilemma. I moved to Kissimmee, FL like a week and a half ago, and I decided that my black on black civic with no A/C was insane. I have a 2000 EX engine, I believe it is the D16Y8 VTEC motor in NY. That motor has A/C so I figure i'll just swap it in, especially because I'm thinkin about selling the car, and who's actually gonna buy it without A/C? The motor that's in my car should be a D16Y7 non-VTEC. If anyone knows what kind of problems I'm going to have other than just doing a straight drop-in, ecu swap and some interior changes, please let me know. I don't want to be surprised when I finally get started. Thanks guys

Marknhl 08-25-2006 12:51 PM

RE: VTEC swap help

Also, I have checked back posts but didn't find much on it, I don't think people bother doing this swap most of the time... I was thinking maybe i could just swap the a/c components and the head to get vtec performance while i'm at it? I also saw a post on obd 2 being 96-98 and obd 2a being 99-00? Is this going to cause a problem?

BillyB98 08-25-2006 01:14 PM

i dont think there should be a problem but dont hold me to that

Remmy 08-25-2006 01:46 PM

The a/c's are the same. But, you want to find a Y8 ecu while you are at it (obd2) make sure it is for your type transmission (auto/manual).

Marknhl 08-25-2006 10:02 PM

I do have the ECU already. Sorry, I should have mentioned before, I have the whole car, it's one of my old ones that i bought back from the insurance company when it was totaled. So i do need to swap out the ecu? Is the wiring harness the same? I've never done an engine swap myself before, only helped with one, so I'm not familiar with everything involved

Marknhl 08-25-2006 10:03 PM

Both cars are manual shift.

mxs 08-25-2006 10:15 PM

pretty sure you need the Y8 harness for vtec

Marty 08-26-2006 12:59 AM

No you dont need the harness.

Convert your IACV from a 3 wire to a 2 wire, use the wire left over for your vtec. You will also need to buy a sheilded wire for the knock sensor as the Y8 has a knock sensor and the Y7 does not.

Marknhl 08-26-2006 03:53 PM

Ok that simplifies things a little more... As I said, I'm unfamiliar with everything that's involved with engines and doing the swap tho... What's the IACV? I've been trying to do my homework and search for the answer to any question before i ask it... but there is a lot of abbreviations that the 'engine illiterate' may not understand... is there a post someone made about what they all mean? lol

Marty 08-26-2006 05:34 PM

intake air control valve