Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Well it finally happened

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Default Well it finally happened

Broke a ringland at 12psi. Scored the block pretty good. Did it at 4:30am on Sat night racing a 480whp Pullied Cobra Mustang. He beat me by 2 cars at 10 psi so I bumped it to 12 for the 2nd run. It was dead even then I shifted into 4th and poof smoke everywhere. The tune was awesome and my car was insane quick. Limped it back to my shop and commenced tear down. I was hoping it was just a head gasket but there was no water in the oil or oil in the coolant so I wasnt holding my breath. Once I got the head off I saw the damage. Oh well my project is getting bumped faster than I expected.

What is going in as a replacement you ask? Well Ill tell you. Its gonna be a B18B with block guard and forged internals. My old head is getting ported as we speak. I already have the old motor out and the new motor is on the stand ready for the good stuff. I am getting eagle rods and SRP pistons that are gonna have ARP rod bolts. 9.5:1 end compression is my goal. I got a nuforms block guard already. With the new motor will come a much bigger turbo and my end goal is 400whp. I got RC 1000cc injectors and Im trying to find a VictorX manilfold to stick em on. Ill take pics of the build along the way and do a DIY on LS/Vtec.

Happy Tuning.

Berz out.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Default RE: Well it finally happened

sorry about your loss, but it sounds like you got your stuff straight and goin even bigger, can't wait for the pics

Old 05-02-2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks, I was planning on getting the B18B block sleeved but Im gonna have to go stock block for now and maybe get my B16 Block sleeved and then get that bored out to fit bigger pistons.

What doesnt kill you makes you Stronger

Berz out.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Berzerker
What doesnt kill you makes you Stronger
mmm slipknot

Old 05-02-2006, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

Damn thats to bad... But it must of felt great at 12 psi!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 PM

My friend in the passenger seat was watching the laptop for the air/fuel ratios to make sure I didnt run lean... half way through 3rd he just looked up and said "Jesus Christ"... I was thinking the same thing but I was to busy trying to keep the lil ****er straight haha. The tourque steer plus the ruts in the road were a handfull. Im thinking I had to have been just over 300whp so ... I cant wait for 400

Berz out.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

I've heard bad things about block guards. I hope you go with sleeves, AEBS makes good stuff.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

AEBS sleeves are bomb proof. theyve been tested to 55psi by the company and ive heard up to 60 by tuners.

block guards are basically a cheap way to turn open deck designs into closed decks arent they?

what WERE you running for internals?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:23 PM
HCF Member

The only problem with AEBS sleeves is gonna be finding someone to install them. I looked around the internet, and there is one shop on the East coast that installs AEBS sleeves. They charge $1075 and you have to send them your block. Since berz is in England, that might be a problem. Why not go with 8.5:1 CR pistons? Those should allow you to run even more boost.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:51 PM

When I sleeve Im gonna go with Darton Sleeves. I had a totally stock bottom end in my B16. Lower compression isnt really all that effective. It makes daily driving out of boost a real boring thing too. 9.5 is just right for my octane level available (94) and my goals. If I run more boost then the sleeves are more likely to break. A block guard is a poor mans way of closing the deck but for 100$ compared to 1000$ its quite alot more affordable.

Oh and Im up in Canada not England

Berz out.

Quick Reply: Well it finally happened