Fuel Economy Discuss tips and tricks for better fuel ecomony.

2014 Civic EX Actual Mileage

Old 07-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Default 2014 Civic EX Actual Mileage

A lot of people that I have talked to have a hard time believing that I get the mileage I do on the freeway. I suppose with the CVT (which I dont really like) there is some sort of silver lining ...

Old 07-16-2014, 05:54 AM
Unhappy

How are you achieving that mpg?!

I just leased a 2014 EX-L @ zero miles. It was of course given with a Full tank of gas and I've been driving it for some time now without re-fueling but I'm discouraged by my average MPG as indicated by the display. Currently the car is at 154 Miles and im nearing a refuel. It says I'm only getting 16.2 mpg. Once I figured out the blue/green bars and the mpg indicator i've tried to drive it with fuel economy in mind but the average does not budge.

Ive heard there is a "break-in" period involving the first oil change but I wonder if it would make a big difference.

Things to consider: I drive almost exclusively in the city. And I frequently have to wait for my gf (typically idling in the car with AC on) when picking her up from work. Would this really halve the advertised mpg??

Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Default Gas Mileage

Originally Posted by Suavez

I just leased a 2014 EX-L @ zero miles. It was of course given with a Full tank of gas and I've been driving it for some time now without re-fueling but I'm discouraged by my average MPG as indicated by the display. Currently the car is at 154 Miles and im nearing a refuel. It says I'm only getting 16.2 mpg. Once I figured out the blue/green bars and the mpg indicator i've tried to drive it with fuel economy in mind but the average does not budge.

Ive heard there is a "break-in" period involving the first oil change but I wonder if it would make a big difference.

Things to consider: I drive almost exclusively in the city. And I frequently have to wait for my gf (typically idling in the car with AC on) when picking her up from work. Would this really halve the advertised mpg??
To be honest, I haven't figured all of it out yet. The higher mileage can be gained if I have a tail wind, which happens in Idaho. To make that even better, if I am no longer than 5 car lengths behind a large RV, that seem to help too. But, thats all I got for info.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Suavez
That does seem high. I have a brand-new 2014 model and came from a 2004 EX that regularly got 35-36 mpg on a blended tank of regular gas.

I did get north of 40 MPG a few times, doing 95% highway driving and also Premium gas. One time I got close to 44 mpg and even though I know the rating of 39 MPG for Highway is conservative, I was sure someone had put gas into my car to throw off my numbers.

That can't be right. City driving stop-and-go shouldn't be under 30 MPG.

Do a re-test with a full tank next time you go on a lengthy highway trip. See how many bars the Fuel Gage goes down for the miles driven. If it's going down as fast as 16 MPG would indicate, you have to take the car in -- something is WAY off on the engine.

No way....you should get 31/38 right off the bat, if anything it goes up about 10% with Premium Non-Ethanol Gas after a few thousand miles.

Nope, not unless you idle for your GF for 30-45 minutes a day. AC should take off 10% from the MPG stated, but not 50%.

Try and do a mileage run city or highway (preferably) only in coming weeks when you don't need AC and report back.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:48 PM

Most of my mileage is city stop-and-go in Florida with A/C on and my 2013 LX seldom goes over 29.4 mpg. ECON is always. I'm a "senior" driver and seldom go over the speed limit. Even on a long trip I have never gone over 32 mpg.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 PM

Mileage can vary greatly. If the road is slightly down-sloping for many miles, you can get greatly exaggerated mileage. On a trip of 50-100 miles, you should be able to get 42-44 MPG using economy but I have gotten as many as 48-52 for 50 miles on the Garden State Parkway before I exited for a more congested road which drove down my MPG.

Always good to see the mileage on the REVERSE of a trip to see if it is close to what you got going. I have locations where the mileage coming back is 10-15% less than going there because the 1st part is inclined downward on the roads.