Fuel Economy Discuss tips and tricks for better fuel ecomony.

On the tip of my togue.. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Angry On the tip of my togue.. Please help

Thanks to the guys that read these ads and help. I do this all day on the jetski forums..

So here is my deal.

92 civic vx 260k miles has 150k on newer motor (still d15z block)
I have replaced in last 20k the following
Oem oxy sensor
catalytic converter
plugs wires cap/rotor (NGK)
new fuel pump and regulator with new filter
new injectors OEM Rebuild to spec of vx
Timing is right on the dot
new wheel bearings all four
water pump and timing belt
new oem map sensor
brand new idle air control valve(did help with a/c)

So here is the issue at full tank to about 1/4 tank I have no shift light then from 1/4 to empty it works fine.. It has been this way for awhile and I am only getting 30-34mpg and I use to get 40-48mpg.. I have no check engine light on or codes, but from pass experience when the oxy sensor throw a code and the check engine light came on the shift light didn't work. NOTE check engine light still works just have no code to turn it on. I have also at one point just to see if it made a difference I change the computer unit with another still the same.
Last but not least my tail pipe is a little black(rich) not like burning oil black..

Please someone take the time to help me I have tried everything I could think of to get the mpg back up.. I understand she is a little tired but she should be able to stay around 40mpg something isn't right..
Thanks
Jess
813 363 9074

Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
HCF Member

You covered it pretty well. When you checked the timing, did you bypass the ECU to set it (jumper wire in the passenger side footwell)?

Is the engine consuming oil, or does the level stay pretty close between oil changes?

Have you checked the PCV valve? A malfunctioning one will sometimes affect fuel mileage, but it'll typically show up in oil usage instead.

Otherwise, have you run over anything HARD (or hit a curb while parking) recently? How are your suspension bushings and such? Just wondering if something affected your alignment enough to kill gas mileage that much.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 92vxxx
Thanks to the guys that read these ads and help. I do this all day on the jetski forums..

So here is my deal.

92 civic vx 260k miles has 150k on newer motor (still d15z block)
I have replaced in last 20k the following
Oem oxy sensor
catalytic converter
plugs wires cap/rotor (NGK)
new fuel pump and regulator with new filter
new injectors OEM Rebuild to spec of vx
Timing is right on the dot
new wheel bearings all four
water pump and timing belt
new oem map sensor
brand new idle air control valve(did help with a/c)
new intake manifold temp sensor

So here is the issue at full tank to about 1/4 tank I have no shift light then from 1/4 to empty it works fine.. It has been this way for awhile and I am only getting 30-34mpg and I use to get 40-48mpg.. I have no check engine light on or codes, but from pass experience when the oxy sensor throw a code and the check engine light came on the shift light didn't work. NOTE check engine light still works just have no code to turn it on. I have also at one point just to see if it made a difference I change the computer unit with another still the same.
Last but not least my tail pipe is a little black(rich) not like burning oil black..

Please someone take the time to help me I have tried everything I could think of to get the mpg back up.. I understand she is a little tired but she should be able to stay around 40mpg something isn't right..
Thanks
Jess
813 363 9074

Still getting worse I hit 28mpg today...What the f...! I just changed all three temp sensors too..

Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Wrong fuel pressure (is the equalizer hose hooked up to the intake manifold?)

or ECU staying open loop because engine does not reach operating temperature. Thermostat should be 185 degree.