Fuel Economy Discuss tips and tricks for better fuel ecomony.

What type of fuel is best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 AM
HCF Member
Default What type of fuel is best?

Right now I am using Super Premium Unleaded Non-Ethanol gas. I am using Non-Ethanol gas because I heard ethanol messes up fuel pumps and gas tanks regardless of how new or old it is. And I figured the higher the fuel grade the better gas mileage I would get, and the better it is for the car. So its just a question I have been wondering and wanted to see what you guys say.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Octane is basically the resistance to detonation. Higher octane fuels burn slower and resist detonation better than lower octane fuels (which allows you to run more ignition advance). Basically, on a stock car, anything higher than 87 octane is kind of a waste of money; really, it's no "better" for the car than regular unleaded is. You might see slightly better fuel economy with higher octane, but you can see a bigger increase in fuel economy simply by changing your driving habits.

A lot of people don't realize just how aggressive they're driving even when they think they're driving like a granny.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

I agree with Reaper, but would like to add my own observations. I see a slight increase in mileage, and a distinct difference in the way my 96 runs when using the higher octane fuel. I will grant that this could also be a difference in fuel brand as well, I switched from 711 Regular Unleaded to Shell Pro-Clean Premium and noticed a difference fairly quickly.
That's my $0.02 on the subject

Old 12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

Well I just filled up my tank with Super Unleaded Non Ethanol Premium gas. I shift anywhere between 3k-4k rpms. So I don't let them get up to high. I'm going to fill up my tank a few more times and observe the gas mileage then put lower octane in and see how it differs. I mean Its only $30 for me to fill up my civic paying $2.99/gal

Old 12-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I highly doubt that the increase in mileage is enough to justify the extra $2 per fill up.

Like reaper said, theres really no point in running higher octane fuel unless your manual calls for it.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

Yea well I talked to my stepdad yesterday and he said basically the same thing.. just more expensive gas.. lol

Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Hey, I am a newbie who don't know how to post a new thread for a tranny problem I am having. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM
HCF Member

Exactly - its more expensive gas. Your never going to notice a real difference. And as for noting gas milage per type of gas- its impossible. And by this I mean you can not judge fuel by your MPG. This is due to the fact that the situation and driving environment changes every time you drive. There is no control to base off of. You will either get more highway on one tank, more city on the other. More stop and go traffic on the next. Drive different places. Be in different moods and pressing the gas pedal differently.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Super Cereal Admin

^ Don't forget temperature differences as well as wind. Almost everything affects fuel economy.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Chubby Chaser

i will add a note, ethanol fuel lowers mpg, and also lowers price on fuel.

Quick Reply: What type of fuel is best?