General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

16" or 17" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Default 16" or 17" wheels?

Ok,you guys are in the know i'm just learing,16's or17's what will be more streetable without lowering it's a 92 civic hatch?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 16" or 17" wheels?

me id say 17's. 16's are a little small but 17's just fits without having to drop it to much.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 PM

17's FTW!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

Well...16's are going to ride ALOT more comfortable. No matter which size the fender gap will be the same...and honestly I think a smaller tire looks dumb with a stock fender gap (moreso than stock/larger tires). I had 17's on my civic and went to 15's...not really a noticable difference in the handling (regarded tire roll) and teh acceleration was much improved from shedding the weight. I've got another car with 16's (same overall tire size as the civic too) and they're nice too...still more comfortable ride than the 17 was...I like the look of a big wheel....but I dont know that I will ever run anything but the 15's again

Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: rice_eater

Well...16's are going to ride ALOT more comfortable. No matter which size the fender gap will be the same...and honestly I think a smaller tire looks dumb with a stock fender gap (moreso than stock/larger tires). I had 17's on my civic and went to 15's...not really a noticable difference in the handling (regarded tire roll) and teh acceleration was much improved from shedding the weight. I've got another car with 16's (same overall tire size as the civic too) and they're nice too...still more comfortable ride than the 17 was...I like the look of a big wheel....but I dont know that I will ever run anything but the 15's again
Def agree. did the same move would also recommend the 16s

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

Depends on what you like
15s - 17s aren't really an issue, there's not much problem until you hit 18+
Put it this way
15s weigh the least, they will ride a lot better since there is so much rubber b/w the road and the tire, a lot of shock/road noise/feel etc will be absorbed

17s look the coolest, but have very little rubber, you will hear a lot and feel a lot more, the only advantage to 17s is looks
they are heavier so it will slow you down, and noisier

This is why i go for 16s
they are right in the middle, they are lighter than the 17s, look better than the 15s, and compromise in the middle for road noise and feel

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 PM

I hear ya bro. The 17's are an extremely rough ride. But for me its a small sacrifice with the larger wheels. But yes, if you get 17's, drop the car. Dont be a scmuck like me and run around with stock suspension, looks pretty bad.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

I just jammed some 16's with 205/40-R16 tires under mine, and I'm not planning on dropping the car at all. People may think it 'looks' dorky, but if you have roads of incredibly crappy quality (such as in West Texas), you'll regret the drop. I'm the third owner and have never bottomed out, however my oil pan is slightly caved in - meaning the previous owners apparently couldn't keep from doing it at the stock ride height with stock wheels. Why would I want to drop it and run the risk of peeling open the oil pan on a speed bump?

I'm also not sure I want the harsher ride, either. I know progressive-rate springs would help against that. But everything I've seen, read, and experienced with dropped vehicles is this: the passengers become the shock absorbers.

I'm not saying people shouldn't drop their cars - I agree that soaking up some fenderwell space with the right size wheels & tires helps the appearance tremendously. However, you need to gauge the area you primarily drive in. If your roads suck, leave yourself a little more space and sidewall to keep the bottom from scrapin' and thewheels from bending.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:08 PM

I have 17's, KYB AGX's, and H&R Sport Springs (progressive rate)and I don't consider the ride that bumpy. Even ifit is bumpier I like the 17's alot and they look great. Its only really a lot bumpier when you're comparing 17's to 15's. There's probably not that much difference when comparing 16's to 17's.

I know you said you didn't want to lower it, but If you're worried about the ride comfort you can buy new shocks and springs too (they make lowering springs that barely lower at all) like the H&R OE Sport Springs.I think it's only a half inch drop. And you could get some new shocks/struts that are dampening forceadjustable and adjust them to your preferred stiffness or softness. Or you could even get height adjustable shocks/struts and put the better springs on them and adjust the height so it's not really lowered at all.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Type RB

I just jammed some 16's with 205/40-R16 tires under mine, and I'm not planning on dropping the car at all. People may think it 'looks' dorky, but if you have roads of incredibly crappy quality (such as in West Texas), you'll regret the drop. I'm the third owner and have never bottomed out, however my oil pan is slightly caved in - meaning the previous owners apparently couldn't keep from doing it at the stock ride height with stock wheels. Why would I want to drop it and run the risk of peeling open the oil pan on a speed bump?

I'm also not sure I want the harsher ride, either. I know progressive-rate springs would help against that. But everything I've seen, read, and experienced with dropped vehicles is this: the passengers become the shock absorbers.

I'm not saying people shouldn't drop their cars - I agree that soaking up some fenderwell space with the right size wheels & tires helps the appearance tremendously. However, you need to gauge the area you primarily drive in. If your roads suck, leave yourself a little more space and sidewall to keep the bottom from scrapin' and thewheels from bending.
I completely agree. Saskatchewan's roads are crap. We have... soo many roads that it's not funny. And I live in the "lower income" part of the city, so our roads arn't the best compared to the newer areas of town. No one has ever bottomed out my car though

Quick Reply: 16" or 17" wheels?