General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

1995 civic beater convert to offroad style go kart

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Default 1995 civic beater convert to offroad style go kart

I just bought a 95 civic with 220k miles on it for $400, Ill be using it this summer to commute back and forth to work (50 miles away) so i dont have to drive my gas hog dakota there and can just leave it at the construction site.

anyways, after this summer ill get a company car and will have no use for the civic. I want to make it into an offroad play toy. Some offroad tires, hack out the already rusted fenders, lift it up a little some how. you guys ever seen anyone do this or have any ideas for me. I just want to try it wiht cheap *** used parts and see what happens if it breaks ill junk it.

ill have about 3 months to gather the used parts so i can spend some time finding cheap stuff

I think it be fun to have a giant honda go kart haha

Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 1995 civic beater convert to offroad style go kart

well while its posible... problem is your drivetrain... like axle length and steering linkages... if ya lift it to much the axles will be close to binding and wont last to long thats for sure!!!
thats your largest task to try and solve. you might be able to lift it maybe 2inches ok MAYBE i got no clue ive never tried.LOL

ive thought about doing it before... most of it is rather easy.... ya see how the top of the struts bolt into the strut tower... basicaly get some decently thick steel and simply make some spacers/adaptors.... a level flat and a level top and weld in some bracing between them, spaced large enough so you can bolt the original bolts on the bottom from the strut, and then simply with some new bolts ontop that will go thru your strut towers stock hole locations and bolt them on.... quite simple there....

but lets face it its no 4x4....

IMO dont chop it up if its not to bad of condition.... as long as it still runs and drives you should be able to make money on the car to just sell it AS-IS.... as soon as ya cut the car or mod it to much then youll be lucky to get your 400bucks back outta it...
and i must say.... why not keep it as-is????? gas prices dont look like they will ever get cheaper..... I THINK/HOPE our civics gain value since alot of people want cheap high MPG vechiles and it drives the price up for them... [8D]

if not O WELL ya got a cheap grocery getter/beater....

Old 04-19-2008, 01:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 1995 civic beater convert to offroad style go kart

I'll buy it for $400 from you after summer man, I'm looking for a project to work on