General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2012 Civic Si or Not?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Default 2012 Civic Si or Not?

I currently have a 94 Civic Si HB I love. Great car. Fun to drive, reliable, great gas mileage, inhales gear, etc. But, its getting older and so am I and I'm thinking its sadly, time. Its certainly the "right time" to make the investment in something else.

Have done a bunch of testdriving, though its tough to get manual transmissions for some reason in my area, so I haven't yet found a WRX, VW GTi, or Mazdaspeed3 to try. I'm a bit obsessed with hatchbacks, so I've tested the CR-Z, Golf, Elantra GT, Veloster, Mazda2, Mazda3 (2 models) so far in addition to the Si (so wishing it was a HB!!).

The Si was the most fun of the lot. But, man, are the reviews on it horrid. Seems like everyone hates it! Am I missing something? Don't want to get stuck with a dud. My 94 Civic Si is more fun than practically anything new I drove other than the 12 Si. And practically anything has more HP and bells-and-whistles than my decades-old ride (though I think the old girl still kicks most of their @$$es in terms of fun). Would I be making a huge mistake in getting the 12 Si? Do I absolutely need to make the effort to track down the WRX and Speed3 before I decide? Anything else?

The premium gas required spec is painful. (One thing I love about my 94 Si is that it sips gas while still being a pocketrocket.) Any other 12 Si "gottchas" I should consider?

Thanks! ...x

Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 AM

From what I understand, reviewers hated the new Si and the general public loved it. I haven't driven it myself but I would love to pick one up assuming I had the means to do so.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Thanks, that makes me feel a little bit better I guess. My 94 is so great, hell, people stop me on the streets asking if I want to sell it, so I was a little shocked to see such vitriol aimed at the new one.

I'm off to test a WRX, a GTi, and a Speed3... all HBs, which is a major decision-point for me vs the Si coupe. We'll see where that leaves me.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

I have one and the only thing I dislike is the internal materials. They look good but are very prone to wear. I think all the '12 Civics have been slammed for this. My driver's door panel easily shows any kind of contact.

Mine has 13k and is 10 months old. I've had a '93 LX and a 2004 EX but no other Si to compare it with. It is fairly quick I guess. It feels as good or better on the highway as the other Civics I've owned.

I've only had it to 118 mph and it felt stable.

Last edited by 2012 Si; 12-04-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 AM
HCF Member

It gets compared to those others which are turboed and thus quicker. It doesn't make much sense to me but they are it's nearest competitors in price, etc.

I read a lot of reviews too and some comparisons to others,like the Speed 3.

This was the only "performance" car I could afford.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 AM
HCF Member

The newest Civics, to me obviously, are ugly. Haven't been a fan of newer hondas in years. Was hoping they'd bring out more sporty cars, not cars that appeal to young AND old people.

I don't know what price the '12 Si is, but have you really looked at all the options out there for the same amount you're willing to spend?

You said you're into hatchbacks, so I'm also considering you don't mind coupes as much as some people.

The only new honda I'd get would be a CRZ.

You're looking for fun sporty cars, I'm just throwing these out there as options:

-CRZ
-S2000
-WRX or STi, '07 and older
-Evo, '06 and older
-'09/'10 370z sport and/or touring
-Toyota/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ
-Scion TC
-Genesis Coupe Turbo
-Mini Cooper S, '09 and older

None are american cars that will break down sooner than later, all are sporty, all under $23,000. I figure a '12 Civic Si would be around $20k.

And most of those can be had for under $16k.

Last edited by inthezoneac; 12-04-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

My worst mileage was about 27 and best almost 40. The 40 was a few weeks ago...no ac and a low avg speed for that tank...maybe 50 mph on non-interstate roads. I was on a long road trip of about 3k miles. I'm using M1 0W-20 oil.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM

Hey, 2012 Si, thanks for that. One of my major concerns is the MPG, esp considering it requires Premium. I'm not sure what to think about the fingerprints and the like. On the one hand, I'm not super fussy that way, but on the other hand, if I'm already prone not to be super-careful, is the car going to look like total $h!te if I'm not. I dunno.

I drove the WRX and the Speed3 today. I understand now why the Civic Si got flack. Its power isn't anywhere near close -- however, I also think that's disingenuous as it seems an unfair comparison vs turbos. The WRX felt like it had enough weight and grip to keep its nice, growly power on the road. It felt large to me -- I didn't feel like I could "throw it around" like my Civic or some of the other cars I testdrove. Fun to drive, but, not the car for me. The Speed3 was a blast, and I actually gave a Wooo! or two while driving it when the turbo kicked hard, but, it _really_ almost got away from me the first time I asked it to GO -- handling was more squirrely at speed than either the WRX or Si and it felt like it hovered above the pavement rather than being glued to it. Exceptionally stift clutch compared to ANYthing I've ever driven. I was fighting it (in a lot of stop-and-go it would be absolute murder on my bum knee). Of any car I've testdriven, I feel like I would need to learn to drive it the way IT wants to be driven and there was nowhere near enough time to do that on a simple test drive. But, fun? WOW. I still enjoyed the Si compared to both of these cars though as the Si felt like it had smoother handling while accelerating to speed than the Speed3 and was jauntier than the WRX. If the Si was only a HB... : /

I drove the CR-Z. I liked it though it was automatic (they say they won't be able to get a me stick for several months). It was a nice car, solid, fun, practical. Love the idea of hybrid and getting good gas mileage. The deal I was offered was good (invoice) -- they are apparently having trouble moving them. No sunroof is a bummer. The dealer said "We can put one in" but, I'm wary of an after-market install, even with a "lifetime warranty." Its a car I could absolutely "live with." (Maybe next time, when I'm that much older and maybe looking less for performance and more for safe and easy?) Hard for me to give up the manual trans, and sunroof, and take it in a colour I dislike to get the deal. Combined that leaves me a bit "eh."

Also in the "good little car I could live with" category was the non-Speed3 (2.5l) Mazda3. Drove the 2.0l, which was very disappointing (and the 2.5l in automatic, which was dull, dull, dull). Finally found the 2.5l in a stick and it was fun. Its probably the most practical, logical choice I could make from the cars I've driven so far. Its a HB and still fun, even if not powerful, better MPG than the Speed3/Si/etc. and any and all options I could ask for.

Tried to test the BRZ today, but, they only had it in automatic(!?). They had a used VW GTi and a used FR-S on the lot too -- also automatics. Who buys these sorts of cars as automatics? So, didn't bother with any of them. Drove the Impreza non-WRX manual just for sakes. Seems like a safe, sturdy, serviceable little car for a kid or more kick-around driver.

The last Scion I drove, admittedly right when they came out, was a tin can. Are they worth a look now?

Can't stand the looks of the MiniCooper. Should I get over that and drive it anyway?

I'd look into a S2000 if I were in the market for a sportster or convertible as a second car. Looks like a blast.

What I've driven so far:
Honda Civic Si (manual)
Honda CR-Z (automatic)
Hyundai Veloster (manual turbo)
Hyundai Elantra GT (automatic)
Mazda2 (manual)
Mazda3 2.0l (manual)
Mazda3 2.5l (automatic and manual)
Mazdaspeed3 (manual)
Suburu Impreza (manual)
Suburu Impreza WRX (manual)
VW Golf (automatic)

What would look awesome in my driveway/would be FUN to race around in (Si or Speed3) is at odds with what seems more boring but practical (Mazda3 2.5l or maybe CR-Z).

After driving all this brand new shiny powerful expensive machinery filled with modern gadgets, the car I drove today that I liked best was really my 94 Civic Si. Its a small, FUN, nimble HB that gets great gas mileage. I think that's sad and more than a bit maddening.

Last edited by xisjones; 12-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
HCF Member

Maybe you could rebuild the 94's engine or replace it. That era Civic is good.

The 12 Si gearing is what makes it not so good in mpg...3k at 70 mph. The final drive ratio is a 4.X IIRC which keeps rpms high. It needs that with the smallish 2.4 liter.

The marks on the door will temporarily go away if rubbed with a microfiber cloth. I think the 13s are supposed to have better materials.

I think the new Si is quicker in turns than some of the other stuff you drove.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

I vote you do a motor swap!

If you want a car to drive all year round, and if you get a decent snowfall in winter, get the Subaru if it is awd. That's my opinion. :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Civic Si or Not?