General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

83 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Default 83 Civic

I picked up this beast today for only $300. I know nothing about Hondas but this seems like an easy car to work on. The guy said it has a blown head gasket so I will be swapping that out tomorrow. I'm hear to learn, so hopefully you guys can help me out. Anyways, on to the pics.

Here she is!!

Custom flames just sweetened the deal!!

Tag in the door jam looks brand new, turns out this sucker is 6 months older than me!

The body is very clean. There is minor surface rust here and there but the fenders, rockers, and floor boards are solid as heck!

The trunk is the cleanest part. I cant believe how good this looks. I think the spare, jack, and lug wrench are original....If you've lived in Chicago you know the toll winters can take on a vehicle.

Yep 201,950. Thats about 8,100 miles a year. It's been sitting for a year and it started up after 5-6 cranks.

Interior is decent, it looks like someone got crazy with the pink spray paint on the passenger side....I should be able to clean it up pretty good though. The headliner has a 1" gouge but other than that it is pretty mint! Not pictured is the stylish Dash Rug!!!

Engine bay from the front.

The side.

I drained the oil and have come to the conclusion that the head gasket is definately blown. On the sticker it says capacity is 3.2qts.....This is what I drained from the pan, I did'nt even take off the filter yet. I would guess it is about 8-9qts.

Yea baby, 1.5l, that 1500cc motor cranks out a whopping 79hp at 5,000! But the thing only weighs 15-1900lbs. Today is the first time I ever looked at a Honda forum and I have learned alot about the weight/displacement idea.

Check out my 13's yo!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 83 Civic

Haha, sweet deal!

Looks like you got the fully loaded model with all the bells and whistles including A/C. Lucky you having little or no rust! I'm jealous.
I got my 1980 civic hatch for $450 from my cousin, who bought it from my grandpa, and he bought it brand new back in 1980! I have every single shred of paper for the car including the original owner's manual, accessory brochure, jack, tool kit, spare, and all service records. Pretty sweet. Unfortunately, mine is currently sitting with a blown head gasket like yours. Let me know how much trouble the head gasket is; I'm curious to know how long it will take me to do. I've also been considering a b-series swap, since I can get a B16 with a cable tranny at a place here for $1200.

If you're looking at restoring/upgrading, 15 inch rims with 195 50-15 rubber will fit with no rubbing in the front, and little or no rubbing in the rear without rolled fenders. If you roll the fenders, you shouldn't have any rubbing issues. Check out the 2nd gen civic forum at 1stgencivic.org for some great info.

Anyway, here's a pic of the old girl at the peak of her former glory:
Name:  CivicNewWheels.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  91.8 KB

Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Default RE: 83 Civic

Hey, hope you see this.

I assume you are getting oil or rad fluid in the exhaust. If so, this can be caused by blown head gasket, cracked or warped head, or cracked or warped block.

By warped I mean the mating surface is not flat. Major cause of warped head is over heating and there is on the side of the head a pop up themometer like you find on a chicken. When its done the thing pops up or changes color or something.

Usually the head is just warped or the gasket blown. You can see the holes in the gasket when you get it off, if it is blown. The metal side of the holes may be pushed out.

You can use a flat edge like a carpenters square to make sure things are flat.