General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

86 3rd Gen Civic Hatch info?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Default 86 3rd Gen Civic Hatch info?

Hey guys I might be getting a 86 civic 3door soon. Its got 200,000 miles on it. I looked everywhere for information on the car but I couldnt find anything below a 90'. Im not sure if its the SI or not. I havent seen the car yet but Im getting it for under $200. I was wondering if you guys knew of anywhere I could go to find information and perforance parts for it. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Default RE: 86 3rd Gen Civic Hatch info?

Hey man, dont even worry about performance parts, with 200,000 on the motor, its not looking to have performance parts put on it. Engine swap first man, you have so many choices, THEN worry about performance.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

Swap in a D16z6 and boost that bitch, they have that as one of the 5 most uncommon things people do but arre fun to do, in one of Honda Tuning issues it was cool, AND people would never expect it too if you keep it sleeper

Old 07-16-2006, 02:44 PM

OK I have a few more questions. Im pretty sure its a SI now. Is the SI the only one with the sunroof? If so then its an SI. Would swapping mean the whole engine or converting it? I have no idea whats in the car yet, once I own the car Ill have a better grasp on it. Its has been sitting for a year so it needs some fixens. Im thinking of lightly modifying it after I get it all in good shape again, even though what your saying sounds like such a great idea. I just dont have the money. How much would putting the D16z6 in be? Im thinking more along the lines of little things I can tune to get the most out of the existing engine.

I got a little ahead of myself. What should I replace on it sense its been sitting? Like spark plugs and hoses and stuff. Also what fluids should I flush and replace? What can I do to get the car running the best possible for the situation?

Old 07-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Default sdf

Also anyone know where I can get a PDF owners manual for the car?

Old 07-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Default RE: sdf

D16z6 will come out to about $1k after shipping, not including labor.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 PM

Ok, thats not that bad. Im probably going to spend money for new tires and upkeep anyways. I(remember the cars been sitting) might as well have it running GOOD. If I would do the engine swap, what all would I have to change also? Wont I have to get alot of new stuff so the engine works with the rest of the car? BTW Im using this car to learn on so right now I just know the basics about cars. But I plan to do the work myself, Ill probably get my grandfather to help too sense hes a car guy and has a shop. So what Im looking at right now is:

1. Upkeep and New tires - Their rotted, gross, and bad looking wheels. Im thinking of just replacing the tires or maybe the whole wheels, I cant decide yet until I see the car itself. In the long run it would be better to buy the whole set I guess because Im planning on painting it up and getting it to look good.

2. The new engine - If Im gonna put that much money into the car anyways I might as well get the new engine and whatever else I need to get it running good.

3. Bondo on the small rust spots,(unless theres a better way to deal with it) new paintjob and (maybe) full body kit?

4. Performance parts and such.

Hows that sound to you guys? Seems like Im gonna be putting alot of money into this car actually... Oh well I need something to spend my money and time on.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:30 PM

to do a d16z6 swap you need to get a few engine mounts from various cars, the engine, find a set of axles (also from different cars) then get it in and wire it up. the best way is to convert to obd1, but it is a bit harder.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:38 PM

That sounds... complicated. First car and I dont know much about cars. But I really want to do this. So from what I understand OBD1 is the type of electrical system the cars running?

Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

ok the first thing you do, if your not goind to swap right away, is get the brake lines replaced/ brakes replaced, i cant' emphiziez this more, if the car has been sitting then more then likely they are shot, and the lines would probably blow out if you braked hard, hell just to be safe you may want to tow the car to you grandfathers shop before driving it. And do a full fluids change, like oil, coolant, brake fluid, tranny fluid. the whole 9 yards, and a spark plug change, and anything else that would be change on routine maintenance.