General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

97 Civic Ex

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Default 97 Civic Ex

I have a 97 Civic Ex Auto and i was woundering if anyone can help me and let me know what i can do to make it fasterthen what it is already. Not including NOS and Engine Swap right now is out of the question. Can anyone help?

Old 08-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Default RE: 97 Civic Ex

Forged pistons new air intake either cold or short ram new larger exhaust system larger downpipe new header strip the body higher octane gas get a turbo, intercooler,colder sparks lower your ride get racing slicks air dams side skirt shaved exterior take out back seat oh and put a TYPE R sticker on it adds 10 HP JKJKJK

Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 AM

thanks for the suggestion. oh quick question if i do a engine swap what would be the easist engine to swap Civic Type R, Integra Type R, or a Civic Si?

Old 08-11-2005, 12:04 PM

If you want a lot of horsepower, and cant do a swap, do a bore increase, and increase the piston size.
Forced induction is the way to go, whether you want a Supercharger, or Turbocharger, that is the quickest way to quickness. Superchargers are much less maintenance that turbochargers, and work better for immediate low end time increases. Mostly because they run off of the pully sustem, rather than exhaust. If your looking for cheap ways to increase efficiency, get a cold air intake. CAI systems are better to run than SRI because they pull air from outside the engine bay, where it is cooler. Another fairly cheap way to get a little bit of power is with exhaust. Headers might give you the most immediate power, but replacing the Catalytic converter with a test pipe, or resonator will give you some recognizable power as well. If you increase your pipe size from 2" to 3" you will obviously have more flow, hence more power. Pretty much anything with the words Hi-Flow are good for power increasing. Hi-flow fuel rails help with a 4-8HP gain depending on other fuel mods. Aftermarket intake manifolds are great with power, and may give you best gain:expense ratio. Look into buying an adjustable cam gear, can help with immediate low end gains. A camshaft will give you much more horsepower. Look into stage 1 or 2 aftermarket camshafts. Do not bother with a stage 3, you will have a very rough idle(these are made for strip racing.)

The best swap for you to do would be the b18c5. If I'm not mistaken, it has 197hp @ 8000 rpm, and 134 lb/ft @ 7500 rpm. This swap will fit fairly easily. The engine isn't extremely expensive, and it nearly matches the H22a, and K20 engines which are difficult to fit into the bay. With this swap(Bone stock) you will see a 70HP gain, and a 27Ft. Lb. Tq gain. As far as dynoing, that swap will nearly match the dyno tests from a turbo at stage 1, and run much more efficiently. Also take into considderation, the engine will start out with 0 miles, and the value of the car will increase dramatically. Slap a turbo on there, and the aftermarket goodies you need to run it safely, and you could be running 350 horsepower very easily. If you have any questions or need any help, let me know. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:10 PM
HCF Member
Old 08-11-2005, 12:38 PM

If do the swap with the Integra Type R will i have to do major work for it to be compatable with my car. Is it possible to get the Type R computer chip and install it in my car with out swaping engines.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM

What about B16A2 Engine (that's a Civic SI-R 96-00 right?) with an Auto Tranny will fit in my 97 Civic Ex Auto. it would just be a bolt on right.