General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ac removal help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 PM
HCF Member
Default ac removal help

hey wondering how do i remove all the ac related stuff i dont want to just start taking out bolts and not knowing how its propperly done. is there any diy's that you know of or step by step write ups, thanks.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: ac removal help

personaly id say dont do it..... cause AC cold air is worth more to any car buyer if you ever decide to sell i know for me its VERY IMPORTANT......

BUT if you realy want to.... just start at the compressor and work your way to the firewall..... i wouldnt worry about taking out the INTERIOR AC STUFF.... just way to much work for anything youd remove... but the lines, compressor and radiator part is very easy to remove... JUST BLEED THE AC COOLANT OUT FIRST!!!!!! dont cut ANY LINES.... those can be worth cash! easiest way to bleed the system is to use one of those CHEAP AC filler hose and simply let it blow out..... just try to NOT BREATH IT IN or get it blown in your face and eyes!! thats not a good thing trust me!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

just think about the pros versus cons, and yes, the pros out weigh the cons of ac. would you rather stay cool in 100 degree weather, or would you enjoy a whooping 1 measley horsepower or so.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Well, if you are gonna take it out, please take it to a shop for them to evac all the coolant in the lines. They can get rid of it safely and without it just going into the air. Just a thought.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM

I second that. although once you take the compressor out, you will need a different drive belt if its a serpentine belt setup.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 AM
HCF Member

the ac needs to be recharged anyways so i wanted to take it out plus i didnt know if there was enough space for the turbo and exhaust mani.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: noshowallgo

the ac needs to be recharged anyways so i wanted to take it out plus i didnt know if there was enough space for the turbo and exhaust mani.
Try fitting your mani and turbo in with the a/c in place first. Chances are, it's not going to fit, but its worth a shot.

If you do pull the A/C stuff, put it in a box and shove store it somewhere. It will come in handy when you decide to resell.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Be sure the pressure is zero and then you can just start unbolting. As a final check, press down on the valve in one of the service ports, it is exactly like a tire valve. It is illegal to intentionally vent refrigerant out to the air and just a bad idea if you're dealing with a significant quantity. Since you have a leak now it may be pretty much all gone at this point anyway.

Keep the insides of all parts clean so you can sell or reuse them. There is basically no filter in the refrigerant system so it is counting on there being no dirt in it in the first place. Cap off all the lines and ports as you disassemble.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

da definatly tape up ALL of the lines! seal them up good! cause if moisture gets in those lines and you do deside to put it back on it will be junk.....

Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
HCF Member

today i removed the ac and fan or whatever it had 2 aluminum cables running from the fan and cooling unit one had i power steering fluid the other ac now i also wanted to disable my power steering does disconecting both cables and the ac fan eliminate the ac an power steering or what else doi have to do to remove power steering .thanks

Quick Reply: ac removal help