General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

accellerating to fast?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Default RE: accellerating to fast?

You are right. It is polite.

ORIGINAL: XCM828

ORIGINAL: boatboatboat
Quite often the "polite" thing to do is not the BEST thing to do.
Good point. All I'm saying though is if the truck can move over safely, then it is the polite thing to do. I've had truck move over for me before. The highway was practically empty so why not?

Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 PM
HCF Member

most of the time trucks do move over..you get 5 cars trying to murge into traffic at the same time and they cant get on because a truck is in the way is going to cause problems...its just sometimes truck drives feel like they own the road, or any driver at that

Old 01-16-2006, 05:32 PM

From what I've experienced and heard, civics are Higher RPM type cars anyway, its ok if every now and then you drop it a gear and bone the hell out!!! You'll waste a bit more gas, and it might even be a bit scary at first, just dont red line...now thats not good!!

Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 AM
HCF Member

Higher RPM type cars anyway, its ok if every now and then you drop it a gear and bone the hell out!!!
LOL...sounds like how I drive everyday.
Dude..Merge means get to highway speed. I come off the ramp doing 75 sometimes....it is easier to slide in behind the big truck and pass when you have the chance then to wonder if
#1 the trucker even saw you go under his bumper
#2 Wonder how fast something that big and heavy can stop if your car decides to break something as you try to get it up to speed
#3 You do get it up to speed and the turkey in front of you slows down to 55 because he likes the big truck behind him...leaving you SOL

To answer your initial question..stomping the gas all the way to the floor should not breakk anything in a well maintained car. Going over redline is a risky endevour, but the car will do it, and remember......YOU are the burdened vehicle when merging into traffic...not the Truckers.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:05 PM
HCF Member

[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-20-2006, 05:55 PM

Just one littttle thing...trucks are only supposed to be going 55mph. Anything with a trailer. But thats here in Cali.

I actually do agree with boat, if its unsafe for the truck to move, theres no reason that the car shouldnt either speed up or slow down.
And one quick q...wouldnt it be harder on your tranny if you stomped on it a lot? So not breaking anything immediately but in the long run..

Old 01-26-2006, 10:14 PM

Of course!

Old 01-26-2006, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: boatboatboat

Truck driver: "well there was this civic struggling to do 65 mph and I thought I would be nice and move over for them"

Truck Driver: "I know sir, but some guys on CHF said I should move over"

I drive like a nut on the highways here. Im usally at 100 or so by the time i hit the end of the ramp.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

i always do that, but the main on-ramp to go on the highway from my school has a really sharp turn before the streach and its uphill so its hard to gain speed sometimes, iv almost had 2 wipeouts when it was snowy and you need to take the turn REALLY slow..thanks makes things even worse

Old 01-27-2006, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

well i no in auto's that if you push really hard the over drive will kick in,
Over drive is actually the highest "gear." It's when the engine is connected straight to the wheels without any gearing. I don't know if us manuals have it... maybe 5th is overdrive, I dunno.

Oh and boatboatboat and Amanda... most of us don't drive in bumper-to-bumper daily so there's usually enough room for trucks to get over and they almost always will. I can see how it'd be dangerious in heavy traffic though.

Quick Reply: accellerating to fast?