General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

aftermarket resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Default aftermarket resale value?

i was wondering if adding aftermarket parts to a civic substantially lower its resale value or make it harder to sell. i've been contemplating adding stuff to mine (exhaust, intake, headers, lowering springs/entire suspension) but am also trying to plan for the future. I'm about to enter college and want to make a smart decision so any advice/info would help!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: aftermarket resale value?

Yea the resale value usually goes down... Unless you find the right buyer

Old 02-22-2006, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

Or you could keep the stock parts to put back on when you go to sell it, then sell the aftermarket parts on ebay!

Old 02-22-2006, 09:13 PM

so what do u think i should do? should i spend the money, effort, and time on my car now or just sell it after college and get another car. FYI: my car is a 98 civic ex 4d auto...[&o]

Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: hondaaada

so what do u think i should do? should i spend the money, effort, and time on my car now or just sell it after college and get another car. FYI: my car is a 98 civic ex 4d auto...[&o]
IMO i think you should hold off and save your money. If your gonna sell it in a few years anyway its not really worth it.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: 05 civic

IMO i think you should hold off and save your money. If your gonna sell it in a few years anyway its not really worth it.
I firmly disagree, and heres why... I would say that 90% (extremely rough estimate) of people get rid of their first project car anyway. It's a learning experience, and can substantially benefit you in the future on your next project(s). It's not going to lower the resale value THAT much, so why not toy around and see how much you can learn? Like someone above said, you can always toss your stock parts back on when you go to resell it...

and "a few years" is plently of time to work on, and enjoy your first projects.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: skytanker2003

Or you could keep the stock parts to put back on when you go to sell it, then sell the aftermarket parts on ebay!
This is the way to go.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: 05 civic

I firmly disagree, and heres why... I would say that 90% (extremely rough estimate) of people get rid of their first project car anyway. It's a learning experience, and can substantially benefit you in the future on your next project(s). It's not going to lower the resale value THAT much, so why not toy around and see how much you can learn? Like someone above said, you can always toss your stock parts back on when you go to resell it...

and "a few years" is plently of time to work on, and enjoy your first projects.
forty forty forty...you read my mind, i think what forty sead is a great way to put it, i no my first project car i learnd how to do alot of things considering i never had a car before that, i also did alot of stupid things that i thought were cool (but were not) and now that i got my civic i no alot more about cars and can do mods the proper way instead of doing it like my old car which was all wrong...but it all depends if you got money also, you dont want to get into a rut with college and all

Old 02-23-2006, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

i no my first project car i learnd how to do alot of things considering i never had a car before that, i also did alot of stupid things that i thought were cool (but were not) and now that i got my civic i no alot more about cars and can do mods the proper way instead of doing it like my old car which was all wrong...but it all depends if you got money also, you dont want to get into a rut with college and all

I'd like to hear some more about this....

Old 02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
HCF Member

Its not a project car though...

And mods cost lots of money so why spend all that money and lose resale value when you know your gonna sell it? Even if you put stock parts back on you still wasted $700 plus on I/H/E. (700 Assuming you buy namebrand parts)

Quick Reply: aftermarket resale value?