General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Air Horn...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Default Air Horn...

Hello everyone. New civic owner here, about a month ago I got a 2007 LX, very nice car I'm very happy with it, good decision. I traded in a Mustang for It.
Well, I'm wanting to install a Train Air Horn (152 dB) but unfortunately there's no where for me to fit it. Unless someone can give me some ideas. It won't fit in the hood or under the car. The horn is a Hammer 4 (in case anyone wants to look it up on google) and it comes with an air compressor kit.
But now that that idea is out of the question since I can't fit it, i was wondering if anyone knows what dB level my current factory horn is. I mean, when other cars cut me off and I have to honk, they don't even here me, its such a crappy horn. So I want to upgrade it but again, I don't know what dB level it is, so if anyone can tell me I will greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Air Horn...

I always wanted to do that! The idea is to have the normal horn, but use one of those "there was supposed to be something here in an upscale model but not in this one" button coverups to mount a big red button on the dash just for the train horn. That way, when you really want to get attention, hit the big red "DO NOT PUSH" button!

Those train horns are great for scattering stray cats. A certain worker at a utility company has a redneck truck with one, and he singlehandedly cured the stray cats problem in the main warehouse area. All you got to do is sneak up into the vicinity of the cats and BRAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Those cats were running in the air like cartoon characters do!

That fixed the problem up quick.

Now, as for mounting that monstrosity, have you tried in front of your A/C condenser?

Old 05-11-2007, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

Oh yea I hate Civic horns there so wimpy. How muhc does that horn you lookin at cost? About how big is it?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, Fu(k those things! I put a horn out of Mecedes GL450 into mine

Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 AM

Here's the horn I was looking at:
http://www.siege-engineering.com/Items/J-3L-120-A-W-H4?

There's a couple of others I was looking at, but they are too big. This is the smallest one I could find for as loud as it is. I mean, 152 decibels, lol do you have an idea of what that is? If you stand next to it you will probably suffer ear damage.
I want it mostly because for my job I drive at least 6 hours a day and I can't take my stupid horn anymore people can't hear it, I want a holes to get out of the way when they screw me on the road.
The only problem is the legality, AND, I could seriously cause an accident with that thing if I honk it to someone who's not paying much attention or on a cell phone.
Listen to the sound clip its crazy.
And to answer your questions ryank327, after shipping it'll probably run about $300 to $350 (it comes with an air compressor, the horn by itself is $150), and the dimensions are: 6" wide x 7" tall, about the same as a dollar bill. The horn bundle, including manifold, is 15" long

Old 05-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Woooowwwww doooo it! 150 decibels? You might suffer ear damage just being in the car when that baby goes off. Hope you don't strap an alarm up to that thing haha. I, too, hate Civic horns, but I've always heard of mounting semi-horns in a car, not trains..... but hey, all the better. Go for it.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

If you take your front bumper off there will be open space there, you can mount it to the front bumper bar, and when you put your bumper cover back on, you cant see it.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:31 AM
HCF Member

it has been done on this forum https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_330730/tm.htm he has a vid on there as well so check it out

Old 05-12-2007, 10:21 AM

Yeah it might be a little extreme what I"m trying to do what if I really do hurt my hearing. I was looking for others ones too, maybe 130 decibels or something, but to be honest, the problem is that if I do get a 130 or 140 decibel train horn, all I'm gonna be thinking of when I use it is "why didn't I get the 150 one" you know what i mean.
I got this car for reliabilty, gas milage and safety, with no thoughts of modifications in mind, I'm starting to change that thought a little bit, but anyhting that I will do to it, it has to be the best and I don't want to have to settle for anything less. And I'm talking from experience. If someting costs and extra $500 to do, fine, i'll wait a couple of months.
But anyways, thanks mill$civic, I'm going to look behind the bumper. The truth is I don't know how to remove the bumper, anyone have any ideas on how I would do it? I'm going to check it out so maybe by the time someone tells me I might have done it, but I'd appreciate help.
Thanks everyone!

Old 05-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well i also want to do this mod to my civic.... hardest thing is geting the right air horns!

unfortunatly for you i think ya bought the wrong ones...

the best ones to buy i think are the ones with the horns that can be seperated.... and with some simple air hoses you can mount each horn where you want it... or should i say where you CAN mount them.LOL

and ya honda horns SUCK! when i had my old crx i cut off the horn and swaped one onto it from a old chevy truck... just had to wire up a relay for it to work properly but worked decent... alot beter than what it had thats for sure!!!!!

hell when ya honk the horn ya expect someone to at least WAKE UP...... and with some train horns.... HELL ya get what you want... people will wake up realy quick and say O SH**!!!!!!!
LMFAO

Quick Reply: Air Horn...