General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Appearance or performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Appearance or performance?

since its a DD, new headunit stereo won't go wrong either, get better sound and use of a better stereo for mp3 discs, or iPud, etc.

they are hela cheaper than rims or a lowering kit if you just want the basics.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:45 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I was starting to drown in all the aftermarket addons and kits etc etc, and i really had no idea what to do. Now I think I have a little more direction. Question though...

If you leave this car stock you'll increase its resale value
Taking your collective advice, I think all I would look at to start is a CIA and rims, maybe tinting depending on the regs here in Alberta. How would that affect the resale? I'm new to this whole tuner thing, but wouldn't that increase the value of the car??

Hey, just thought of another question to ask. From what I've read so far, the D17A1 doesn't sound like it's the greatest for modding. I think it's kinda low end to begin with...? But my question is this then: If I plan to drive this car into the ground before getting a new DD, should I upgrade this one, or should I leave it stock and try to find a cheap,older model as a project car?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:12 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Because you really have to find someone who WANTS those specific parts on that specific car, and it can be tough to find a buyer for something like that. For the average person, the intake just means they have to buy a special air filter. The rims mean they have to buy larger, more expensive tires. Plus you have to find someone who has the same tastes as you. The 88-2000 Civics and CRXs make much better project cars. They are cheaper, parts are EVERYWHERE, the engines respond to mods better, the suspension design is better, etc. etc.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

Don't quote me on this, but here in alberta I don't think there is any restriction on your level of window tint... just as long as you either have wing mirrors, or your single rear view one, AND you don't tint from the front doors(inclusive) forward

so yes in theory i think we could get away with 2.5% or 5% limo on the backs... saw that at can tire today, litterally said "Oooooo"

Old 08-18-2007, 10:55 PM
HCF Member

buy the house first, its a better investment than modding a car... then after you get settled in physically and financially, mod your car, like they all said, tinit/rims/lower a bit, then work your way into exhaust blah blah blah

Old 08-19-2007, 06:20 AM

take your time. you have your whole life to worry about things.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:30 AM

IF U DONT PLAN ON RACING DO A APPERANCE UNGRADE.... DROP IT WITH TIEN'S OR SKUNK2'S ...TINT IT...A NICE RADIO OR INDASH T.V.....RIMS...AND A NICE LIP KIT...DONE AND A VERY NICE CLEAN LOOKING CAR

Old 08-20-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks again to everyone who has responded. I've decided to just leave my car for now, and go for the house. In the meantime, Im going to try to learn as much as I can about cars, maintenance, upgrades, etc.. and once I'm setablished, then I'll decide whether to upgrade this car or get an older model to play with. One more question tho...

IF U DONT PLAN ON RACING DO A APPERANCE UNGRADE.... DROP IT WITH TIEN'S OR SKUNK2'S ...TINT IT...A NICE RADIO OR INDASH T.V.....RIMS...AND A NICE LIP KIT...DONE AND A VERY NICE CLEAN LOOKING CAR
Is this an example of what people call a "ricer?" I've heard the term thrown around, but I don't really know what it means exactly.

Thanks again, you guys have been very helpful and friendly!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

No actually, this is not a very "ricer" look. A ricer look is one that is not very "clean" it has a huge and blingy rear wing that would work better on a sail boat. Then they put a body kit that has more lines than Clint Eastwoods face on the car, and then they get a hood that has a huge hole in the top of it that kinda resembles some sort of ram intake... and not to mention they lower the car with the body kit, so that it scrapes when they drive over a pebble. Sometimes if your lucky, they re-do the interior of the car to all one color (usually some bright yellow, green, or orange)

What electron was saying is that if you do it right, the modifications are subtle, yet still keep the car looking like a car... lol at least that is what I understand of the term...

good choice on going with the house...

Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
HCF Member

Quick Reply: Appearance or performance?