General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

automatic door locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Default automatic door locks

Does anybody know how to programm a 2005 civic to lock doors automatically when you put the gear in "D" or once it hits a certain speed?
Thanks,

Old 10-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Default RE: automatic door locks

ORIGINAL: renpot

Does anybody know how to programm a 2005 civic to lock doors automatically when you put the gear in "D" or once it hits a certain speed?
Thanks,
Hi Renpot,

I've got a 2006 Civic EX. I know it's a different year model but "maybe" they're close enough together that the proceedure will still work. My owners manual says this feature is available on all LX and EX models. It's worth a try anyway!

Here's what my owners manual has to say on the subject. There are two auto locking modes you, or at least I can select.

To Activate an auto door lock mode: Locks all doors when the vehicle's speed reaches about 9 mph (15km/h).

1. Make sure the shift lever is in Park (P) and close the drivers door.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position.
3. Set the parking brake.
4. Push and hold the brake pedal, then move the shift lever out of Park (P).
5. Push and hold the lock side of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound (the sound of the doors locking), and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound (the sound of the doors trying to lock again!).
6. Release the switch, move the shift lever to Park (P), and turn the ignition switch to the ACCESSORY (I) position within 5 seconds.
the second auto lock mode is:

To activate an auto door lock mode: Locks all doors when the shift lever is moved out of Park (P).

3. Push and hold the lock side of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound (the sound of the doors locking), and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound (the sound of the doors trying to lock again!).
4, Release the switch, and turn the ignition switch to the ACCESSORY (I) position within 5 seconds.
The difference between the two being that one locks the doors once the car is moving above a programmed speed and the other locks the doors as soon as you move the transmission out of Park.

On my car, I also had to program an auto unlock mode. It worked pretty much like the first example above except that you hold the master door lock switch to the unlock side instead of the lock side.

To activate an auto door unlock mode: Unlocks the driver's door when the ignition switch os moved out of the ON (II) position.

3. Set the parking brake.
4. Push and hold the brake pedal, then move the shift lever out of Park (P).
5. Push and hold the unlock side of the master door lock switch on the driver's door. You will hear a clicking sound (the sound of the doors unlocking), and after about 5 seconds, you will hear another clicking sound (the sound of the doors trying to unlock again!).
6. Release the switch, move the shift lever to Park (P), and turn the ignition switch to the ACCESSORY (I) position within 5 seconds.
Well, that's it! Hope it works for you.

Good luck & let me know!
Steve R.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:24 PM

Thanks Steve. I will try this tonight. One question though, can I unlock the door manually while the car is running? In case of roll over accident (knock on wood), I want to be able to unlock the doors.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: renpot

Thanks Steve. I will try this tonight. One question though, can I unlock the door manually while the car is running? In case of roll over accident (knock on wood), I want to be able to unlock the doors.
Yes you can. The door lock button still works normally. Just FYI, I've got mine set to the "locks the door over 9 mph" mode. My Civic has a manual transmission so I don't have the "locks the door when you move it out of park" mode.

Good luck on this one. I'm curious to see if your 2005 and my 2006 are the same on this point.

Steve R.