General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

back country driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:36 AM
formerly aryiman98civic
Default RE: back country driving

ya dude i prolly wont head back up there for a couple of months with football and stuff going on here

but i can't wait until your car is running strong and we do the huge mod to my car this winter

just remember i dont have the stiff suspension like you do, i wanna work on that

Old 08-13-2006, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

just got back from vacation in maine & did about 150 miles on logging roads - did about 50mph in a 7000lb camper-[:@] for many of them -- can only imagine what i could in a bad *** car

Old 08-14-2006, 07:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: aryiman98civic

ya dude i prolly wont head back up there for a couple of months with football and stuff going on here

but i can't wait until your car is running strong and we do the huge mod to my car this winter

just remember i dont have the stiff suspension like you do, i wanna work on that
Hell yeah man, we'll get that all setup too. By Spring we should both be ready to rip like crazy

Old 08-14-2006, 03:41 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Intrepid175

ORIGINAL: 01silverbullet

Two words "the dragon"

Anyone been there, i forget exactly where it is. i believe it is in tennessee. there are 117 curves in like 11 miles or somthin rediculous. i know it is popular for crotch rockets but maybe some of u would like it. if you are up to it
Oh, yeah!! Done it multiple times on my motorcycle. Never drove it on four wheels though.

For clarification, it's Hwy 129 south of Knoxville, TN and it runs into western North Carolina You can pick it up well south of Knoxville so you don't have to deal with the city itself if you don't want to. Also, it's 318 curves in 11 miles, not 117. About the only negative thing about it is the fact that it's popular and I've had a few runs that had "large" trucks on it. Why they let near 18-wheeler sized vehicles on this road is beyond me but that's how it is. If you can get to it during the middle of the week, it's a lot better. There's a small camp ground with tourist trap convenience store right after you cross the boarder into North Carolina. You can get gas, food, suveniers, etc., there. There's also a bullitin board called the "Wall of Shame." It's covered in pictures of all those who "didn't" survive the "Dragon!" Most of them are motorcyclists but the four wheeled contingient is also represented. Last time I was there, they had an 8x10 picture, posted right in the middle, of one of the local law enforcement folks who failed to make one of the turns while "trying" to keep up with an experienced 2-wheeler. The cop wasn't hurt but his patrol car wound up several hundred yards down the embankment. It was "too" funny!

If you go there, Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Thanks for clearing it up, i was too lazy

Old 08-15-2006, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Peg_Leg

ORIGINAL: civicstealth

Let me know if you come across any other resources for Civics in Rallying.
here's a guy that rally races a eg hatch and the stock wheels are a great choice you might consider vx wheels they are 13's and hx wheels they are 14's they are alloy's and they are real light weight here's the web site oh i'm thinking about rally racing too http://www.mattjohnstonrally.com/

Yep, this is a great site--awesome photos of Civics in air, the water, and the dirt!

Anyone find any technical "how to" sites? Or should we just hammer our civics until the bust, then replace what breaks with something better...?

Old 08-17-2006, 04:28 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicstealth

Yep, this is a great site--awesome photos of Civics in air, the water, and the dirt!

Anyone find any technical "how to" sites? Or should we just hammer our civics until the bust, then replace what breaks with something better...?
i like the idea of bashing (sounds like the best way to waste a weekend) but money is a problem for me. i am seriously looking into a turbo setup as well.

time to watchout for 4-door sedan turbo rally civics.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:47 PM

By Spring we should both be ready to rip like crazy
Count me in on that sh*t! By spring I won't have any more suspension mods available lol. Only have sways and a front sustec brace left available. That setup is gonna be tighter than....

I'll let you guys finish that thought haha.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

^werd!

On a really serious note, I want to let all you guys know to BE CAREFUL! Back roads are a blast, but you need to respect speed and what it can do. I'm usually not one to harp on people about safety, but I now have good reason. I just lost a close friend of mine because he didn't respect speed while playing on back roads. He lost control, crashed, and he didn't make it... It's the first time I've ever lost a friend, and the pain will not soon go away.

Please guys, just be cautious and sensible.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:00 AM
HCF Member

sorry to hear that. i know of the dangers because the only way out of my town by car is to travel down a 500km dirt highway that has claimed a few lives over the years. people don't respect the nature of dirt or gravel, cuz the dynamics change one foot to the next. thanks for letting us know how you feel and i respect what you said. and i hope you and all his love ones can share in the memories you had with him.

R.I.P

Old 08-18-2006, 11:00 AM

^ wierd, one of my best friends just ended up in the hospital w/ a fractured neck bc he was speeding, and drunk and arguing w/ his ex on the phone...

sorry to hear about your loss, I can unfortunately relate.

Quick Reply: back country driving