General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Best year to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Default Best year to buy?

Well hello everyone. I am new to the forum.

I am an ex-honda owner. I used to drive a 2001 SE Coupe. Until I had a tire blow out and ended up throwing it into a guardrail @ 160 kph.

Anyways that was years ago and I really want to tune civic again. Just wondering what is current when it comes to civic modifications. is the H22 still the way to go for best power to weight ratio? Or are people getting into the Frankenstein engines?

Aside from current modifications, what is the best year/model to pickup, Its been ages since I have delved into car tuning.

If people dont really feel like answering I completely understand however if they could point me in the correct direction to find this information, it would be sweet.

Thanks in advance.

~Dr. Awesome

Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

Anything before 2001 and after 92 will be good.....

5th gen and 6th gen are best for modding... and for engine swaps everyone has their own favorites.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

i like 6th gens personally, its the best of both worlds. hatches ftw! i have never heard any real storys about h22's but i know there are some fast as hell b series with gsr's!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:36 PM

92-95, because everyone and their mom has a 96-00

Old 09-20-2009, 12:44 PM
HCF Member

haha I like 96-00, but 92-95 are very nice aswell.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 PM

well 2001 style is what im going to be going for it seems. Out of all the Gens i've been looking at its the style I like the most.

However its lack of 4 wheel disc brakes is a little disconcerning so I'll have to convert it. Oh well project cars aren't meant to be easy. haha.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

And they are slow/heavy and your only swap is a k20

Old 09-20-2009, 03:09 PM

I was originally going to do an h22a swap, but then I started googling the interwebs and started reading about k20 swaps, and then I came across the k23a1 engine, so if that ever gets successfully mounted and running in a 2k1 series body that would be the ideal swap to go with, redo the engine with performance cams etc. Pricey but oh well.

I guess I gotta start hunting for a car that has a frame and body in relatively good shape.

Time to look outwest. haha

and im not too concerned about weight right now, i just want a flashy show that has a little kick to it.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:13 PM
August 2010 ROTM

Why would you want it to be flashy? Like with a big wing, body kit, and neons? If that's your thing, you gotta be compensating for something... Why not subtle and clean?

But as others said, I would get a 92-00; they are much more mod-friendly, and weigh ALOT less. I do really like how the '01 body style looks, but you are limited in what you can do to it. K-Series are pretty much your only option; they are great engines though...

And I don't think you can put an H-Series in anything newer than a '00.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 PM

ive been here less than 24 hours and the flaming begins already. I just personally like the body style of the 01, i was looking through photos the last few days about the diff styles changes etc.

as for h22 swaps it is possible, there are a few folks around here that have done it, its expensive as you need custom motor mounts and pretty much move everything else around in your hood, but it looks clean after its done.

as for the big wing etc commend, I would want just the stock honda fin as i think that looks the classiest.

I dont want the stupid riced out look, i just want a car that looks pristine on 16 or 17 inch rims, slammed to the deck with a nice beefy polished engine. What is wrong with that? haha,

and as for the k20 swap being my only option that isn't that bad, from what I read they are actually pretty decent engines. Sure the car might be heavier but thats not that big of a deal for what I want it to do.

AND if they do get a K23A working in a 2001 body, 240 Horsepower with 260 torque, that would be so Sick. Do a rear disc brake conversion a nice paint job and id have what I want

Also im looking for something that not everyone and their dog is doing, around here so many civic owners rocking a b16/18 or ls/vtec motor its kinda gross.

I know tuning a civic isn't being "unique", it was just my first car years ago and I want to do it again.

Quick Reply: Best year to buy?