General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Bought a 2000 Honda civic ex all stock. Please name affordable yet good mods!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Default Bought a 2000 Honda civic ex all stock. Please name affordable yet good mods!

I already plan on getting it lowered, an exhaust system, an aem intake, a good sound system, spoon rims, underglow lights, a modo steering wheel. Here's the thing. I am a complete noob. This is my very first car. I need name brands that aren't going to empty out my wallet. I also need to know some places /sites that I can get them from. Im from New jersey. Also if there are any mods you have in mind, please tell me. Again, it's a 2000 Honda civic ex all stock and automatic. Also, in what order should I get them in? Does it matter? I know it doesn't matter with the exterior parts but the performance parts? Please help!

Last edited by turnup_jermmms; 08-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 AM

Stop... or at least slow down.

You will regret the underglow lights after you realize you are being laughed at. Usually, they are illegal to drive around when on. REAL spoon wheels are going to cost you in upwards of $1000. Completely ridiculous amount to spend on wheels for your 12 year old car.

Lowered is fine, sound system is all preference, steering wheel is pointless. Why would you remove a safety provision from a street driven car? Might as well remove the seat belts, too

Now, for the intake/exhaust, what are the plans for the car? Do you plan on swapping to manual transmission and building up the motor?

Two reasons NOT to get an intake/exhaust:

1. If you stay AT, you will never make enough power (without breaking the transmission) to warrant the money spent on these.

2. If you want more power, you will realize that D series do not make power from bolt ons. You must either swap (part may not be compatible with new motor), or turbo (which would replace the header, and intake).

Remember, google and read up on everything.

Where in NJ are you loctaed?

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Stop... or at least slow down.

You will regret the underglow lights after you realize you are being laughed at. Usually, they are illegal to drive around when on. REAL spoon wheels are going to cost you in upwards of $1000. Completely ridiculous amount to spend on wheels for your 12 year old car.

Lowered is fine, sound system is all preference, steering wheel is pointless. Why would you remove a safety provision from a street driven car? Might as well remove the seat belts, too

Now, for the intake/exhaust, what are the plans for the car? Do you plan on swapping to manual transmission and building up the motor?

Two reasons NOT to get an intake/exhaust:

1. If you stay AT, you will never make enough power (without breaking the transmission) to warrant the money spent on these.

2. If you want more power, you will realize that D series do not make power from bolt ons. You must either swap (part may not be compatible with new motor), or turbo (which would replace the header, and intake).

Remember, google and read up on everything.

Where in NJ are you loctaed?

Welcome to the forum
Thank you for your input. But why can't I get an exhaust/intake if I'm on automatic? Is it just useless? About he wheels, wow I had no idea about the price of those wheels. I had to no clue. **** 1000 on wheels I think I'll pass. You know of any other wheels that are nice and less expensive? And why would I be laughed at because of the underglow? I guess they only look good in movies is what your saying. Also, I do not plan on swapping the transmission to stick shift.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by turnup_jermmms
Thank you for your input. But why can't I get an exhaust/intake if I'm on automatic? Is it just useless? About he wheels, wow I had no idea about the price of those wheels. I had to no clue. **** 1000 on wheels I think I'll pass. You know of any other wheels that are nice and less expensive? And why would I be laughed at because of the underglow? I guess they only look good in movies is what your saying. Also, I do not plan on swapping the transmission to stick shift.
It is just useless. You will make unnecessary noise without making any extra power. It will look cool, but that's about it. I would upgrade if I HAD to replace the OEM part due to it being broken.

Check out Rota. "Knock off" wheels, but more affordable. I don't have a problem with mine. Check your local craigslist, too.

Underglow = rice. Pointless, flashy mods that do absolutely nothing for you. However, if YOU like it, then go for it. It is your car. I went through the underglow stage 10 years ago when I was 16, jesus, I was such a stupid kid back then.

Manual is soooooo much more fun, and the Honda AT suck IMO. Again, that is a preference.

We will not make fun of you for what you do to your car. We may not agree either.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM

It is just useless. You will make unnecessary noise without making any extra power. It will look cool, but that's about it. I would upgrade if I HAD to replace the OEM part due to it being broken.

Check out Rota. "Knock off" wheels, but more affordable. I don't have a problem with mine. Check your local craigslist, too.

Underglow = rice. Pointless, flashy mods that do absolutely nothing for you. However, if YOU like it, then go for it. It is your car. I went through the underglow stage 10 years ago when I was 16, jesus, I was such a stupid kid back then.

Manual is soooooo much more fun, and the Honda AT suck IMO. Again, that is a preference.

We will not make fun of you for what you do to your car. We may not agree either.
so ur saying just because of the transmission the exhaust will either help it or not? i mean, i would like a nice sounding exhaust.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You won't be taken seriously trying to say that your automatic Civic is fast. They just aren't. Intake and exhaust change the sound of the car but not always in a good way (especially for your neighbors and the police). A cheesy "fart can" will even grate on YOUR nerves after a few hours on the interstate.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
You won't be taken seriously trying to make an automatic Civic faster. Intake and exhaust change the sound of the car but not always in a good way (especially for your neighbors and the police). A cheesy "fart can" will even grate on YOUR nerves after a few hours on the interstate.
but why should i care whether other people take me seriously? i couldnt give a fck less what people think. just saying. whatever eff the exhaust and intake. got any good sound systems in mind? and rims. the guy above said rota but anything else?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
You won't be taken seriously trying to say that your automatic Civic is fast. They just aren't. Intake and exhaust change the sound of the car but not always in a good way (especially for your neighbors and the police). A cheesy "fart can" will even grate on YOUR nerves after a few hours on the interstate.
+1

Originally Posted by turnup_jermmms
but why should i care whether other people take me seriously? i couldnt give a fck less what people think. just saying. whatever eff the exhaust and intake. got any good sound systems in mind? and rims. the guy above said rota but anything else?
That's a good way to think. Remember, it is your car, do it like you want. We are just trying to make sure you know what you are getting into before you buy parts and then buy different parts over again due to changing plans.

An exhaust kit will help with hp. Maybe about 1-5 hp at most, but yes it will help no matter the transmission you have. The AT is just very limited to what it can actually handle.

Mk is just making you aware of the louder exhausts getting on your own nerves after a while. It did for me. I suggest looking into the Apexi WS2 kit. I love mine. If you do get an intake or exhaust, keep the stock parts!

As for sound systems, how much bass or sound do you really want? I had a 5 channel Alpine amp, Memphis component speakers up front, generic 6x9's in the back and one 10" MTX subwoofer and thought it was perfect sounding. My brother on the other hand has 2 12" Alpine subs, generic speakers in the car, and a 5 channel Kenwood amp and he thinks that is great. Wayyyy too much bass for me.

Rota makes so many kinds of wheels it is ridiculous. They are known as the knock off wheel as most all of their designs "look" like name brands. Give their catalog a look and see if there is anything you like. There are threads on bigger forums such as Honda-tech.com devoted to "96-00 Civic wheels thread where people post their set-ups". I found many-a-wheels I like on there.

It is all about research. These cars have been around for years and years. Pretty much everything has been done to them, so information on everything should be floating around the interwebs.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

+1

It is all about research. These cars have been around for years and years. Pretty much everything has been done to them, so information on everything should be floating around the interwebs.
+1 Agree

Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 PM

+1

That's a good way to think. Remember, it is your car, do it like you want. We are just trying to make sure you know what you are getting into before you buy parts and then buy different parts over again due to changing plans.

An exhaust kit will help with hp. Maybe about 1-5 hp at most, but yes it will help no matter the transmission you have. The AT is just very limited to what it can actually handle.

Mk is just making you aware of the louder exhausts getting on your own nerves after a while. It did for me. I suggest looking into the Apexi WS2 kit. I love mine. If you do get an intake or exhaust, keep the stock parts!

As for sound systems, how much bass or sound do you really want? I had a 5 channel Alpine amp, Memphis component speakers up front, generic 6x9's in the back and one 10" MTX subwoofer and thought it was perfect sounding. My brother on the other hand has 2 12" Alpine subs, generic speakers in the car, and a 5 channel Kenwood amp and he thinks that is great. Wayyyy too much bass for me.

Rota makes so many kinds of wheels it is ridiculous. They are known as the knock off wheel as most all of their designs "look" like name brands. Give their catalog a look and see if there is anything you like. There are threads on bigger forums such as Honda-tech.com devoted to "96-00 Civic wheels thread where people post their set-ups". I found many-a-wheels I like on there.

true, and yea i do want a sound system that produces a GREAT bass. not shaking your ear wax bass, but one that you will hear from a good distance away. thanks alot for the help man im learning.

Quick Reply: Bought a 2000 Honda civic ex all stock. Please name affordable yet good mods!