General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Buying used civic as first car and fixing it up

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Default Buying used civic as first car and fixing it up

I'm looking at purchasing a 00-05 honda civic and then using the remainder of my budget (approximately $10,000) to perform visual/handling upgrades. Due to the nature of my parents I will be very limited on any power upgrades that would be open to me. Lets assume I spend $6000 on the car itself. What would you recommend with the other $4000. Please be specific in the parts if you can, or refer to a website that has those parts for sale.

Other things to note are that I am looking for a digital speedometer. I also somehow am looking into transforming the interior into all-black and ordering custom seats. Another thing is that I am going to want to upgrade the sound system in the car. Thanks, I'm looking forward to some of the ideas that you guys come up with.

Last edited by smaug81243; 08-11-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 PM

KYB AGX shocks (check ebay for good prices)
H&R Sport Springs (check ebay)
Rims of your choice (i recommend wheelsnext.com - just not around christmas because they get a **** load of orders then and yours will be backed up)
Apex-i WS2 exhaust (check ebay) (it's a pretty quiet exhaust, but the best reason in your situation is it looks better than stock)
Bomz Racing Seats (check ebay - they're pretty inexpensive seats)
Stereo System (this depends on what exactly you're looking for in your system)
Tint (darkest as legally possible in your state)
Polyurethane Front Lip (check ebay)
Short Shifter (if you're getting a manual)
Shift **** of your choice
Black Housing Headlights (check ebay)

About the interior, just pick out a civic that already has a black interior.

Just letting you know, the only civics with digital speedometers are the 06-08 civics.

If you want to have a little more power without having to do upgrades, "trick" (i say trick, because you describe them as not wanting you to upgrade your car much powerwise, so get them to buy you one that has decent power without actually knowing it already has more power than a regular EX, DX, or LX civic) your parents into buying you a 99-05 Civic Si. 99-00 Si's have 160hp stock, 01-05 Si's have more (i'm not sure how much though)
If they ask about the whole "Si" thing, just tell them that the Si just has different looks or something.
Plus, the 01-05 Si's are already black in interior, and i think most 99-00 Si's have black interiors.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 08-11-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 AM

Are you getting a manual or auto trasmission? either way, I would look for an EX at least. Personally, I like the 6th gen body style; if you can get the Si (check this: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/792219828.html) this is a good deal for $7900 or less. With that condition, minor upgrades are expected like sound and other cosmetics, and maybe a tune up.

That gen was popular in the Philippines (when I was there) 8 years ago since Honda released the 4 door Sir version there.

Last edited by lupin; 08-12-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Insurance companies know the difference between a DX and a Si. Rates for a young man with a Si are likely to be very high. Investigate that before buying.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 AM

I will be purchasing a manual civic. I do want to purchase one with a black interior already but they are fairly difficult to find in my area right now. Ive primarily been looking on craigslist (austin) but I'm not in a huge rush to buy it so I guess I could just wait until the right one comes into the market before doing this. Keep up the posting, its really helping. And to the poster who said the only civics with digital speedometers are 06-08's couldn't I buy an aftermarket digital speedometer and install it myself? Also, what is the average price of a lambo kit (doors flip up) just because i think that looks insanely tight.

Last edited by smaug81243; 08-12-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 AM
HCF Member

Those kits are like 600-1000. Most of them are pretty lame, because the door has to open out first, then up. They don't go up in one cool motion. I have yet to see one that would actually be worth installing. I would put your money toward better mods.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by smaug81243
couldn't I buy an aftermarket digital speedometer and install it myself?
i'm sure it's possible. i've never seen it done though

Originally Posted by smaug81243
Also, what is the average price of a lambo kit (doors flip up) just because i think that looks insanely tight.
please don't do that to your car. that's the kind of stuff that gives civics a bad rap.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
please don't do that to your car. that's the kind of stuff that gives civics a bad rap.
Straight up destruction.... The idea is to make your car CLASSIER, not RICIER

Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

Get a cold air intake. And a custom exhaust to start. You'll get some performance, but not too much, so your rents won't freak. www.procivic.com is a good jumping off point. They have a full array of parts. Especially if you get an 00-05. (I have trouble finding parts because I have an 08) But if you go the range you're talking about, you'll have no problem finding all kinds of goodies.

Digital speedometer would be tough. You would somehow need to change your whole dash. Unless someone makes a kit for your year. But I havn't seen anyone doing that either as mentioned previously by whoever.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM

lol, sorry about my interest in the lambo doors, anyways not planning on getting them. An update primarily what ive decided to get as a start: darkest tint possible in texas, either front lip or full lip kit, some sort of audio system (still need advice on this, dont need very top of the line or something that you can hear a long ways off, but something that will be satisfying), a pair of aftermarket seats, when looking for seats I want them to be as comfortable as possible but not exceed a price of $450. As to the digital speedometer I have given up on that after seeing the prices they just don't seem worth it. I would like to lower my car but not sure on the price of everything I would need but im estimating it around $500-600 and not sure if my parents would ok me spending that much money on something like lowering... I also plan on getting a short-shifter. Anyways, please point me in the way of specific websites, specific seats, audio systems, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying used civic as first car and fixing it up