General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

A buzzing roof

Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Default RE: A buzzing roof

Well, my roof doesn't make any noise, I have a '07 ex. However, I do have a problem with the moonroof... for some reason, whenever it's exposed to the sun for a little the moonroof stops working. Seems like when it's hot (the times I want to use it) it doesn't want to work. in the garage, it works fine, but when I start driving in the sun it doesn't want to close.

I was thinking it was just stuck, but even if I'd try to push it while pressing the button... but no luck...

I'm gonna have it checked when I go in to get my first oil change and maybe rotate my tires.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 AM

Wow, and I thought I had problems, best of luck getting that fixed. I'm sure they can figure it out. I bought my EX in May of '07 and I just rolled over 8700 miles. I could have afforded another ten-grand but I simply love the looks of this car and the mileage and equipment can not be beat. I have owned two new BMWs and they spent more time in the shop than on the road. MyCivic is a Rally Red Coupe with mud guards, a full bra, door edge guards and all-season floor mats. Oh yeah, it's a five-speed and it has navigation with satellite radio. I frequently use the navigation and the XM radio is cheap and works great. I keep it up with Maguire's Quik Detailer almost daily and it just shines like a new penny. I keep a detail duster inside to keep the dash clear. I don't Armour-All the interior but use their interior cleaning wipes frequently. My only problem is that I cart by 18 month old puppy around all the time so I am always dusting the interior. I did opt for interior fabric finish and an extended warranty with this car, something I usually don't bother with because of my dog and because the navigation system is off warranty after three years/36k miles. I have owned a lot of cars but I think this one is my favorite. I have only three gripes, I have a bad back and getting in/out is not easy, road noise is pretty loud on coarse surfaces and of course my buzzing moon-roof. Other than that this car ROCKS! Please tell me about yours.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 PM

I got mine on august 31st, the only problem that bothers me is my moonroof, and a chip I got my 2nd week having the car... it's also a 5-speed (first manual I've driven and loving it) and I got the mud guards, but I don't really think they help THAT much... my oil life is at 5%, and it's black.. I love the color, but I don't like how often I have to clean it... but since I don't have the funds to buy anything for my car, the only bonding I get is from washing the car and driving it... and I think I broke 6k miles already... this is my first brand new car, but I'm a little worried about the mileage. It's a lot better than my other car (automatic '91 Lexus ES300), and a van ('91 toyota previa) both around 22 ampg. This car, I'm getting around 32-35 ampg. I'm hoping that after my first oil change that it'll improve a lot.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

Got my 07 August 9th. My only complaints are that I wish it came with a darker interior, and that I am putting too many miles (6500) on it. Runs great, started right up this morning and it was 17 degrees.

Regarding the sticky sunroof, maybe the seals are swelling from the heat and there is enough resistance that the motor stops. Not sure if the motor is protected against overheating, but if it is, it could be shutting down (or not starting) because the sun is overheating it. From waht you describe, it is heat related. I'd just take it in. Life is easy under warranty.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:48 PM

Nothng looks quite as sharp as a black car but unless you have a garage or a car cover they are a lot of work. Mileage can vary so much; most of my driving is short freeway hops and I am doing better than forty mpg. I don't rev very high and I keep my speed below sixty, sixty-five but I think the most important thing is to avoid starting and stopping. I live in Oregon about an hours drive from the coast. I live off the main highway to the coast and it is very difficult when on my way home not to just keep driving to the beach to watch the sunset.

Are you satisfied with the dealer? Mine was OK but a car dealer is a car dealer and I found that I had OK'd some kind of anti-theft glass etching that I sure don't remember saying OK to. I want to get some fog lamps for the front but it is going to be almost five-hundred dollars with installation to set up. I should have thought about it when I bought the car.

I hope your car brings you a dependable and safe ride and that the new car smell never goes away.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:04 PM

yeah, black on black is very sexy, however the stock rims look weird with it. black rims are on my to-do list later down the road.

i'm pretty sure it's heat related, but i don't think it has to do with the seals... because i'd try to at least nudge it out of while pressing the button but seems as if it just doesn't wanna work. maybe some weak soldering or something (not really too sure). but i will get it checked when i get my first oil change from the dealer.

as far as my mpgs, i drive a lot of freeway, but sometimes get caught in traffic. i'm thinking it has to do with the first batch of oil, along with me being a noob at manual still. i do shift at low rpms most of the time, and have even began to follow semi's to save a bit of gas (make sure they have good stable mud flaps, or you'll most likely get a lot of chips in the front of your car). my acceleration isn't very strong at al. could it be the ecu? because when i first got the car, i did accelerate pretty quick because i'm wasn't used to the sensitivity of the pedal. but if that could be it, is there a way to reset the ecu to relearn whatever it learns? haha

Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 AM

or you could be getting used to the car. happend with me, i got a 220bhp fwd drive car after 6 months i thought it wasslower than it was when i first got it,but it wasnt, it will sill do150mph+

Old 12-23-2007, 03:05 AM

bump