General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

CAR WONT START!! Need Help PLEASE...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Default CAR WONT START!! Need Help PLEASE...

Ok here goes, my fatherand mother havea 2000 Honda Civic Ex stock.Popsrides her pretty ruff and maintenance is not very comon for her still same plugs and wires etc and she has 112,000 miles and was running ok.He was driving down the freeway and suddenly the car just died on him, heput it in Neutral and coasted to the side of the freeway. Tried to start it turned the key and all it did wasgrrrrrrrrrrrr not catching.
They had taken it to a mechanic 3 months ago previouslyand he workedon theTiming belt replaced, water pump. MOFOcould of replaced the plugsor checked em out!
I swapped out the Plug and Wires and tried turning it on all it does is GRRGRRRGRRR trying to start but is not catching.
Next i thought of the fuel pump, probably dead: nope. Removed the fuel filter turned it on and gas was flowing out from the pump next I checked the filter itself by blowing through it, no problem.
Now im stuck!!! what should i do; Im not a mechanic so help me out guys and no hard terminology! Thanks ahead of time.

Some say Check compression (have to buy tool), some said that maybe the belt slipped off or something.

So what is the next step???? thank you Way ahead of time. need this car up and running.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: CAR WONT START!! Need Help PLEASE...

At the first glance looks like coil or igniter problem. Did you check for spark?

Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 PM
HCF Member

Theres plenty of things it could be. I had the timing belt replaced on my last civic and a month later it slipped. So if the mechanic did a crappy job that is possible. If that happened you probably have some internal damage. Theres not really enough details to diagnose anything. Try checking for spark that will get you headed in the right direction.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

Id bet $1,000 its the ignitor coil.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:00 AM
HCF Member

If it comes up with no spark then most definetly, thats such a common problem its absurd. Easy $100 fix

Old 01-13-2007, 12:35 AM

This is some great advice thank you!!! How do i check for spark though?
Also im thinking timing belt went out because i heard this mechanic is a joke and the way my pops described the incident it sounds similar to a co workers incident. Just completely died out while driving. If the timing belt did slip will it do more damage internally???

Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2007, 01:06 AM
HCF Member

Yes, on these engines timing belt effectivly ruins the engine. Hope it's not the case here, cause your dad should have heard something in this case.

And for checking spark - there is a good write-up here.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Stinky Administrator

ORIGINAL: Pete

Id bet $1,000 its the ignitor coil.
thats what happened to my hatch, i hope its not your timing belt when they break or slip it could cause the valves to hit the pistons

Old 01-13-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

yup, ignitor coil. happened to me 2 weeks ago.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
HCF Member

One small clarification seems to be in order
Igniter and coil are two separate devices

Quick Reply: CAR WONT START!! Need Help PLEASE...