General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Caution full-on project ahead.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Default Caution full-on project ahead.

It's official, after driving my Civic for a week it is now my daily driver. The more I've been driving it the more I want to get out of that little motor and so I've decided that I'm going to give my car a boost. It is after all a $200 car and I think it willl be a great experience. If you don't know the whole story you can read it here.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_407123/tm.htm

Anyway, I've found a guy that is getting out of his Honda "phase" as he called it, and wants to sell a whole slew of parts all together. Extra transmission, d15b7 block and head, 2 intercoolers off of RX-7's, Saab blow-off valve, 2 ecu's, extra axles, and a whole pile of odds and ends from his turbo projects, stuff like charge pipes and such. Price-cheap. I'll let you know once the deal is done. So what I'm thinking is building a low-buck wolf in sheep's clothing. The little Civic that could. So you guys think it can be done? I'm pretty patient and will wait for the parts to accumulate for the right price. Just wondering what you guys thought. Maybe a future HCF project vehicle. I would probably get rid of the d15b7 and get another D16Z6, toughen up the bottom end and build it up with other people's cast-off parts and document the whole thing piece-by-piece so other's that are just getting into the tuner scene can easily learn, just as I've learned.

Gotta' thank you guys for all the help and advice so far. This site has been absolutely great.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Caution full-on project ahead.

Make it a budget turbo build....see if you can build a 13 second car for under like 2K......That would be insane.....and considering you got the thing for 200 bucks, youve got 2800 for boost/tuning. Easily done.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

before you boost, make sure you do a lot a lot of research on boosting. i dont know much about the d15b7 and how friendly it is with boost. i would recommend the d16z6 though. forty04 posted a nice list of everything you need for a turbo build in the DIY section. good luck on everything man.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 PM

I printed out thepost from the DIY section the other day when I got serious about this. I was trying to research a little bit about what I would need before I called the guy about all his parts. It ended up being 17 pages, but it is very helpful. As for the d15b7, I don't plan on using it. I will try to sell or trade it. I already have a good running d16Z6 in the car and was thinking I could get another Z6 to start doing the build on while still driving the Civic. Then once I get it built up I can just pull the engine that's in there now and put this one in. Should be fun

Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

That might be a good idea. If it's your DD, you gotta make sure that thing's not gonna blow on your way to work.

Great HCF project proposal! It would be really great for someone like me who's newer to the tuner world and needs that kind of in depth teaching. I'm not unfamiliar with cars...I'm just unsure of the specifics enough to not want to mess anything up real bad. Simple stuff is ok, but beyond that, it's kinda hazy on the specifics.

Go for it, bro!!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:16 AM

Hey there That Guy, I know exactly what you mean. I really don't know a ton about tuners and newer cars in general, but I love automobiles and this is a $200 car so if I screw something up I just retrace my steps and learn from them. I figure if I document it well enough some other guys and gals that have been afraid of trying something because they will screw something up might try it now. I have other cars to use while I am in the processs of upgrading this car. That's the great thing about this whole deal.. If I screw something up I just have to drive one of the old beaters around.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:18 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: $200Civic

Hey there That Guy, I know exactly what you mean. I really don't know a ton about tuners and newer cars in general, but I love automobiles and this is a $200 car so if I screw something up I just retrace my steps and learn from them. I figure if I document it well enough some other guys and gals that have been afraid of trying something because they will screw something up might try it now. I have other cars to use while I am in the processs of upgrading this car. That's the great thing about this whole deal.. If I screw something up I just have to drive one of the old beaters around.
Thats how I usually feel with my car

Old 05-03-2007, 01:26 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: phan10m

ORIGINAL: $200Civic

Thats how I usually feel with my car
Once you get your hands dirty and accomplish a project on your car, you'll get out of that phase.