General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Cheap Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Default Cheap Tricks

Alright guys, I am 17 and jus got a 1993 Honda Civic sedan FOR FREE!!!!, i have some questions, first off im looking for a driverside front fender and a front bumper... I've been searching Ebay and finding new fenders for $20- $40 and new bumpers for as low as $10, is this stuff decent quality? Why is it So cheap?

Looking for cheap ways to make my car perform better and go faster what would be worth my time to do? NO TURBO!

Also... My buddy has a manual trans i'm lookin to swap in i've been reading threads on how to to this but if there are problems i should know about please let me know...

I could also use tips on cheap way to convert my rear drum brakes to disk brakes (I have a plan and I'll post a seperate thread about it)

Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

1. cant really comment on the body parts from ebay

2. the d series motors dont respond well to bolt ons, at all, no ifs ands or buts. You may get a little better throttle response from a cold air/short ram intake and exhaust

3.Im doing this in the next month or so, ill let you know if i have any issues

3. YOu need the rear trailing arms off of a 94-01 integera. however, they are only 9" rotors, and you really wont seen any improvment over just your drums. However, from what ive read, If you pull the front breaks off the same car, you will see an improvement

Old 04-15-2011, 03:52 AM

I was planning to take the front brakes off a junk civic but would i have to put another master cylinder in, or can i get away with using the stock slave cylinder?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 AM

Also I've been lookin to put a VTEC head on my engine but my engine has super high miles and i dont wanna kill the thing which i heard can happen... is it worth the risk to put one on? am i gunna be able to tell the difference?

Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 AM
HCF Member

Ebay replacement body parts are fine, I have never had any problems.

5 Speed swap is a big hassle in my opinion, I wouldn't bother. How many miles are on the car?

Do not bother doing anything for performance, an intake will make it a lil louder, but not faster in any way.. If you get an intake do not use no name filters from eBay. AEM Dryflow and K&N filter is what you want, even spectre does fine.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
HCF Member

If you want VTEC, although it is a bit over rated, i would do a full engine swap over a mini-me (just replacing the head). The extra power in the VTEC motors, isnt from the VTEC (mostly) its the fact its a larger engine.

If you want, i would try and find a lower mileage d16z6 and drop it in. Its a straight swap, other than having to change the ECU to a p28 and wire up VTEC (its only 3 wires)

Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Vartok
3. YOu need the rear trailing arms off of a 94-01 integera. however, they are only 9" rotors, and you really wont seen any improvment over just your drums. However, from what ive read, If you pull the front breaks off the same car, you will see an improvement
Hmm, I want to put discs for my rears also. Is it really a hassle to do by taking the front breaks off another car and switching?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

sorry, let me clarify, what i ment was is you swap the fronts from the integera to your civic fronts, you will see an improvment. but there is not much of one to be had with doing the conversion, judging by what ive read on it.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 PM

iight but im ballin on a budget and theres a vtec head on craigslist for $50 and it just needs a new valve kit, seems to be a good buy, i just wanna make sure im not gunna blow my engine by putting it on, and i want to kno if its worth the time and money

Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 PM

oh dude... nike h34d sorry i didnt mean to ignore ur question... car has around 250,000miles on it, kinda considering rebuilding the engine after i do some pricing arond for parts... a swap would be awesome but if im gunna go through the trouble i'd rather swap over to a DOHC engine like an h22 but i'd have to sell a kidney to afford a low mile engine... and honestly if i get that much money i might as well buy a different car tht all ready has the swap done ya kno

Quick Reply: Cheap Tricks