General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Choices...What to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Default Choices...What to do

Ok well as many of you know I've been looking to buy an eg and swap a b16 into it. But my mom now said she can help me get a new car but she wants to trade my current car for a honda at the dealership. I got about a 10 grand limit on the new car, but I'm not sure what to do.

Choices

1. Buy a coupe, I'll shoot for si but idk if I could get one. What are prices on used si coupes? I'm not sure what year I want, I really hate 01-03 but I'm afraid anything newer will cost more.

2. Buy a eg in nice shape, and order a b16 from hmotorsonline and do the swap. This would be about 6 grand to do. But my mom doesn't want to help me get a car that some kid beat on, that's why I'll buy the b16 right away but shes a little stuck on getting it from a dealership.

3. This is my favorite option...I could look for an 04 ep3 si. I love hatches and these would be fairly easy to find at a dealer.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Choices...What to do

Go check out the stealerships - humor mom since she's willing to pony up the cash. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth (not insinuating your mom's got horse-like qualities in any way, of course...).

I don't know how old you are, but if you're still in school and your mom's willing to buy you a car - get one... and don't be too incredibly picky. $10-Grand will offer a lot of options on used Hondas... including some older higher performance models and even others with much more coolness factor than a Hatch. If you can find a nice Prelude or even an RSX Integra, don't waste your time with a Civic Hatch. Ya know?

Conversely - if you're out of school and you're relying on mom to buy you a new car... get a job. ;-)

Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Type RB

Go check out the stealerships - humor mom since she's willing to pony up the cash. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth (not insinuating your mom's got horse-like qualities in any way, of course...).

I don't know how old you are, but if you're still in school and your mom's willing to buy you a car - get one... and don't be too incredibly picky. $10-Grand will offer a lot of options on used Hondas... including some older higher performance models and even others with much more coolness factor than a Hatch. If you can find a nice Prelude or even an RSX Integra, don't waste your time with a Civic Hatch. Ya know?

Conversely - if you're out of school and you're relying on mom to buy you a new car... get a job. ;-)
I'm 17 in high school. I don't have a job as of now because my broken ankle and knee with torn legaments is healing (healed enough to drive now).

Well I really like the ep's. With the k20, I'm sure it will make more power than a b16 eg would make and it's nicer. I'll look at some rsx's but idk. Anyone know about 00-03 civics? I've heard many people say they have bad trannies and other problems but...

Old 09-02-2007, 05:34 AM

More opinions! But I really need to know about the trannies but I think I should be able to get an 04 ep3 or an 02-04 rsx-s for around 10 grand hopefully.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:27 AM
HCF Member

- love my ep3(02 Si), no transmission problems, did replace the power steering rack and cat convertor under warranty,you may be a little short on funds without a trade but maybe you can sell your mother on a certified vehicle since she wants to purchase from a dealer, (12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty) www.honda.com/certified

Old 09-02-2007, 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: gocoho

- love my ep3(02 Si), no transmission problems, did replace the power steering rack and cat convertor under warranty,you may be a little short on funds without a trade but maybe you can sell your mother on a certified vehicle since she wants to purchase from a dealer, (12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty) www.honda.com/certified
hrm ok, sounds nice. we are trading my current car and shes taking out a loan on the rest. im going to help pay a lil but she will be paying probably more than i will, and shes taking the deal that im 17 and its in her name so...u get the drift lol.

but yea as of now im thinking either an rsx-s, ep3, or buy a nice eg shell and a b16