General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic SI and HX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Default Civic SI and HX?

Im 17 years old, and will be getting my license in a few months. I know I want a '96-'00 civic. Lately Ive been looking into SI, and HX civics. I havent found too many of them on craigslist in my area, but I have a few months to keep looking. I know that the SI and HX are more expensive than say a DX or EX. But can anyone give me an idea of the price range for a decent SI or HX, that doesnt have an outrageous amount of miles on it?

I can only spend about 3k, so Id probably be looking at a '96. Im hoping one will pop up on craigslist by the time I get my license, and I can offer a certain amount. Ultimatly I might just get a EX or LX, it just depends on whats available in a few months.
Thanks

Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM
HCF Member

lol the si and hx are like opposites. Why are you so interested in those particular two? Just so you know the si only comes in manual transmission, and the hx only comes in automatic transmission. Si's are usually gunna sell for absolute lowest 4k. If I were you I would try to get an EX, second to the si in hp and has all the extras such as power windows, a/c, sunroof....Also you can get the EX in a manual tranny. For 3k you should be able to find a decent civic.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Why the Si or HX? I can understand the Si, but the HX is designed simply for fuel economy. The Si is obviously aimed at performance.

You're not going to find an Si for $3k. You might be able to find a CX/DX/EX for $3k if you're lucky. Personally, I'd look at getting an EX since it has the second highest level of performance, and usually comes with better options (IE, power everything, cruise control, air conditioning, moonroof).

For an Si, you're looking at $5k to $7k for one that's reasonably priced. I'm not sure on the price on an HX, as they aren't that popular among tuners.

*ninja edit: cronin beat me to it

Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Hmm, I must have gotten bad information. I thought performance wise the SI was at the top then the HX, then EX and so on. And I thought that the SI and HX both came in manual and automatic. I actually saw an HX on craigslist with manual transmission.

Ill have to scratch the idea of an SI if they only come in manual, haha most people like manual, but I cant get the hang of driving them. I will look into an EX.

Oh I just have one more question. Im a complete newb when it comes to cars, and I was wondering about vtec. Is it possible to put a vtec engine in an EX with automatic transmission? Ive also done google searches looking for vtec engines, and nothing comes up with a price. How much would a vtec engine generally cost?
Thanks

Last edited by hops523; 07-03-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Cereal Admin

The SI and EX already have vtec engines from the factory, and can be used with either automatic or manual transmissions.

However, I'd strongly suggest you buy a manual. You really won't ever get the hang of driving stick until you're forced to do it for a week.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Oh ok, now its coming back to me. A couple years ago one of my relatives had a civic ex, and said he had a vtec engine, it just didnt say it anywhere on the engine.

A few people have told me that, but I figured even if I did get the hang of it, its just not as convenient as an automatic would be. Constantly shifting gears everytime you pull away from a red light seems like it would be a hassle, even though Im sure it would become second nature. Although... I have seen tons of nice civics that are manual, I would have a lot more options if I considered manual and automatic. I just have to think about it.

Why do suggest manual over automatic? Most people suggest the same thing.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Angry Admin

more fun and less **** to break

Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

I most thoroughly enjoy shifting gears.

1+ to reaper. That's EXACTLY what I did.

However, I'd strongly suggest you buy a manual. You really won't ever get the hang of driving stick until you're forced to do it for a week.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

Manual Transmission ftw, plain and simple. It is completely worth it, everyone should know how to drive one, you never know when you will need to know how.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya... plus the manual feels faster

like they said the hx is for milage and SI for performance. and the si was only made in 99-00.

i miss my old 99 ex, now i have a 96dx. the dx feels faster since its a manual and the ex was a automatic and slow as hell feel! mainly i miss my power windows and locks! im trying to score some power doors from any 96-00 civic coupes but so far no luck with coupes at my cheap junk yard locally. but as soon as they get any civics in new im over there that day hoping to score

and only way to get better with a stick is TO DRIVE ONE no one will just hope in and roll perfect.LOL hell i still slip the clutch way to much and i know it! my excuse is my stereos to loud and i cannt really hear the motor.LOL listening to the motor helps alot when driving one and im always cranken tunes.
but its all right because even tho i burn the crap outta the clutch from time to time.... if it fails its not so bad of a swap to replace the whole clutch. so only be a day or 2 tops to swap em out and have a brand new clutch.

Last edited by addiction2bass; 07-03-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Civic SI and HX?