General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

clutch petal - sideways.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:46 PM
HCF Member
Default clutch petal - sideways.

So, I was rollin around town yesterday enjoying the warm weather whilst it lasted. Came to a light, and stopped. Light turned, so I accelerated. First gear to second. Second gear to third. Third gear to GRRINNNNDD.
Pulled over yellin and cussin.
Got out, looked around, and finally realized my clutch petal was bent waayy over to the left, on the floorboard.

Tell me im not the first to have this little.... issue.. lol.
Thank god I am a welder, and have my equipment at the house. =)

Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

ok... this problem was bigger than I had origianlly thought it to be.
The assembly that the clutch petal itself attaches to is bent. And I am having an impossible time bending it to the position it should be in.

Anyone ever take that assembly off before? if so, how hard was it, and how long did it take you?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

what kind of vehicle is it?

Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

bent.... dam ive never heard of this issue before....

Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

90 civic DX

That picture is from a quick google search. Where the yellow circle is, is what broke.
i've tried everything to bend everything back over, and get that lil rod back in the hole. Not happening.
Fixing to get brutal with it.
I did manage to drive to work today though. Had to start the car IN GEAR and enjoy that wonderful shake as the car turned on and got to rollin. Bah.

Owner of the picture shown claims he's seen this problem before in other 4th gens. So - 4th gen owners - check this piece out in your car. Re-enforce before it breaks. Pain in the butt man... pain in the butt.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
HCF Member

he re-enforced it good. wow. Wish I could rip this thing out and do that.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well do you know if the 90 is the same as a 88?
my local pullapart just got in a 88 civic... unknown everything else online and a 86 89 but the 86 and 89 has been there for afew months now...
i can check them out to see if they have the pedal ya need if youd like? i could even brace it up for ya

Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM
HCF Member

I've got a guy with a wrecked 90 that I could take parts off of. And I would have no issue bracing a part up. I am a custom fabricator for an iron shop. lol.
And yes. the 88 and 90 are same. 84 - 91 should all interchange.

But my pedal itself is fine. Its that darn bracket. I can't seem to find exactly what all is involved in taking off that bracket. I'm fixing to get angry and take it out, then borrow my brothers street bike. Go to work freezin myself to the seat. lol. Do all the welding and whatnot at work.

This is when i need a famous RonJ diagram.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok just checken
shouldnt be hard to pull the pedal assembly... just the linkage if its a cable driven pedal and probably 3-4bolts holding it to the firewall.... 1 bolt might be in the engine bay going thru the firewall.... so just check that before trying to rip it out if it wont budge after you pull the inside bolts under the dash.LOL

im pretty sure you wont have to pull the dash to get the assembly out...

Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 PM
HCF Member

I believe they are all in the car. Problem is there's absolutely no room for my big 'ol hands down there. I tried to pull it out once, and couldn't get all the bolts. lol. Frekkin big hands.
Its gotten too cold and late to do it tonight. Will try to rip it out after work tomorrow.
Guess I'll take pictures and show everyone what happened, and how to do-it-yerself.
Diagram would still be great. =)

Quick Reply: clutch petal - sideways.