General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

confused abt body kit or lip kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Default confused abt body kit or lip kit

I have civic 02 coupe black and for the last coupe of years
i have this bodykit laying around my house for the car...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93...e/DSC02281.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93...e/DSC02283.jpg

now recently my mind has started to lean towards lip kit...
main reason being that it looks so much clean with the drop n all

so now i m really confused....
I have $1K to spend on my car and i could either get the body kit painted and installed or
buy the lip kit and lowering kit for the car

If i go with the second option and buy the lip kit....
will the ABS black plastic look ok on the car if i decide not to paint it?
i dunno how it will look, does anyone have a pic on em?
because with $1K i could only buy the lip and lowering kit and dont think i
would have enough to paint the lip....
oh btw i would buy the whole lip kit (front, side, and rear)

here'z teh car btw:
srry for teh bad pic....
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93...e/DSC02276.jpg

Old 02-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Default RE: confused abt body kit or lip kit

Lip for me! It's really a personal preference.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: James^

ya i would like that tooo....but does black ABS plastic would need to be painted on the black car?

Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: CiViC_NaTioN

ORIGINAL: James^

ya i would like that tooo....but does black ABS plastic would need to be painted on the black car?

and a body kit doesn't have to be painted? you can leave the abs plastic unpainted

Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 AM
HCF Member

If the lip is black, and you want it black, it's not going to be glossy but it will still look good. As long as it's not that nasty *** green color the body kit is.

I'd say, sell the body kit, get a lip kit for like 200 bucks, put it on yourself and spend the rest of that money on real performance.
You won't regret it.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:19 AM
HCF Member

Yeah get the lip kit and I'm pretty sure with 1k you can still get it painted. Lip kits are not going to cost you 1k along with a drop. Unless your getting a coilover set or something rather than drop springs.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: gin0o0o

Yeah get the lip kit and I'm pretty sure with 1k you can still get it painted. Lip kits are not going to cost you 1k along with a drop. Unless your getting a coilover set or something rather than drop springs.
heyyy wats the difference between just the drop springs and coilover kit?
i know that coilover comes with struts and springs....complete
but not sure what u meant drop springs? i cant just put springs over my stock struts to make the ride low?
can i???????

Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

Yeah if I'm not mistaken, you can get drop springs for around at most 200 bucks and they have certain drop lengths. Coilovers are adjustable so you can change your drop but will cost alot more.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Super Cereal Admin

did anybody elsenotice the partially painted sideskirt? I got a kick out of that lol....

I say lip kit.. then again, I just yanked the kit off my car and I'm gettin a front lip/lowering springs this spring (does that sentence seem redundant? "springs this spring" lol), so I might be a little biased. Anyway, a lip kit and lowering springs should cost, what, about $500 total? Also, you shouldn't have to worry about painting black abs on a black car.. it should look fine without paint.

Oh, and for those that didn't know:
Lowering, or "drop", springs are simple aftermarket springs that are shorter than stock springs. They are wound tighter, since the car's suspension will have less travel with the smaller springs. For the most part, you can use your stock struts (or whatever struts you have on your car) with lowering springs with no problems.
Coil-Overs are essentially the same idea as lowering springs, but they are adjustable (usually 0-4" or 0-3"). Since coil-overs tend to lower cars more, they usually need (or come with) adjustable struts.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

did anybody elsenotice the partially painted sideskirt? I got a kick out of that lol....

I say lip kit.. then again, I just yanked the kit off my car and I'm gettin a front lip/lowering springs this spring (does that sentence seem redundant? "springs this spring" lol), so I might be a little biased. Anyway, a lip kit and lowering springs should cost, what, about $500 total? Also, you shouldn't have to worry about painting black abs on a black car.. it should look fine without paint.

Oh, and for those that didn't know:
Lowering, or "drop", springs are simple aftermarket springs that are shorter than stock springs. They are wound tighter, since the car's suspension will have less travel with the smaller springs. For the most part, you can use your stock struts (or whatever struts you have on your car) with lowering springs with no problems.
Coil-Overs are essentially the same idea as lowering springs, but they are adjustable (usually 0-4" or 0-3"). Since coil-overs tend to lower cars more, they usually need (or come with) adjustable struts.
lol hahahaha yah that side skirt....was experimenting painting last yr on it....lol wouldnt recommened paiting bodykit at home to anyone....its really complicated as most people think otherwise...

nwayz back to the thread....
yah it make sense to wat u r saying, but i seriously would wanna go with a 2" drop, but then i heard it will just kill the stock struts.....so i guess my next best bet would be to go with a "1.5 drop which wouldnt kill stock struts that fast....but it will eventually....
I'm not sure how "1.5 drop would look on 17" tires....so does anyone a pic or something?

If i go with "2 drop, then i should buy the camber kit, i guess?

Quick Reply: confused abt body kit or lip kit