General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

did honda copy rover???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Default did honda copy rover???

hiya,

i read a magazine the other day , it said honda copied the rover k-series!!! is this true???
so does this mean you are all driving round with rover power??

1bar!

Old 05-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: did honda copy rover???

[sm=grin.gif]

Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 AM
HCF Member

i doubt it cuz rover is owned i think by ford .. and who would copy ford[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 05-15-2007, 05:10 AM
HCF Member

^ haha yea

Plus I think a Land rover probably has a little more power than a civic. I dont know what magazine you're reading but the people writing itmust be pretty retarted

Old 05-15-2007, 05:19 AM
HCF Member

honda didn't copy the rover engine. honda R&Ds their own engines through formula 1 and other high end racing series.

that's why they're engine mechanicals are so tight and cutting edge.

if anything, everybody else is copying their engine (i.e. mitsubishi's MIVEC and toyota's VVT engines).

Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 AM
HCF Member

haha, First you say that you don't beleives SovXietday Dyno graph. now you think that Honda gets engines from landrover? Lmfao

Old 05-15-2007, 05:52 AM

1) rovers k series engines are smaller displacements, and some are V6 (up to 1.8L), all Honda K series engines are 2.0L or more

2) only some of the rover k series engines are DOHC, compared to all of honda's K series engines being DOHC

3) the rover k series does not have variable valve control of any nature, it's strictly standard cam shafts with lobes for intake & exhaust... no high & low cam setup

4) the rover k series sits in an engine bay like the honda D series... intake in the back, exhaust in the front, the honda k series is swapped, exhaust in the back, intake in the front

5) the rover k series engines have been around for quite some time, the honda k series are relatively new

Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 AM
HCF Member

so i guess he came to the conclusion that since they are a similar engine code they are the same??? lol
i doubt it cuz rover is owned i think by ford .. and who would copy ford[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
HAHAHA thats the greatest....but yea, rover is owned by ford....and they will prolly go out within the next 10-15 years...lol

Old 05-16-2007, 02:54 AM

ORIGINAL: cderalow

2) only some of the rover k series engines are DOHC, compared to all of honda's K series engines being DOHC

3) the rover k series does not have variable valve control of any nature, it's strictly standard cam shafts with lobes for intake & exhaust... no high & low cam setup
I like your method of breaking it down for ease of reading for the homies. I think i'l follow suit.

1) I'm talking about the K series engine, the first ever engine to have varible valve ccontrol.

"A later head design also incorporated a Rover-designed Variable Valve Control (VVC) unit (derived from an expired AP patent). This allowed more power to be developed without compromising low-speed torque and flexibility. The VVC system constantly alters the cam period, resulting in a remarkably flexible drive - the torque curve of a VVC K-series engine is virtually flat throughout the rev range and power climbs steadily with no fall-off whatsoever until the rev limiter kicks in at 7,200 rpm."

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-series

2) I'm not talking about the new K20 engines or what ever they're called. I'm talking about the whole vtec principle. The engine is developed using the Kseries engine as a base.

3) The only rover engines that are Kseries are the DOHC 16V ones.

Say what you want you dirty japistanies but the engines you all know and love were not developed from F1, the were developed from the ford owned rover engines!!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Um, vtec was around LONG before the K series came out

Quick Reply: did honda copy rover???