General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Driving on wet roads

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:46 AM
HCF Member
Default Driving on wet roads

I have a '98 LX. It doesn't like standing water, at all. I guess most cars don't, but mine seems to be a little extreme. If I'm driving without really pressing the gas, I will hydroplane, as normal. But if I'm pressing on the gas it will cause the front tires to spin almost out of control, and the speedometer and tach jump up. I realize this is pretty normal, but my car seems to be pretty sensitive to it and very extreme. My tires are getting worn, but they're not THAT bad. Do you think it's simply just the tires or could it also be that the car is so freakin' light that new tires wouldn't even help much? Is there maybe a better tire to put on these cars because they are so light? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 08-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

its the tires! go get some new GOOD TIRES. my old 94ex i had had some cheap @ss hell tires on it wheni bought it and it slide all over the place! after 2 rains driving thru i riped them off and slaped my spare wheels from my 99ex onto it that had some good tires on it and it stoped spinning/sliding in the rain!

somebody just cheaped out on a set of tires! very simple fix is to take it to a tire shop and ask the guy at the counter for some good tires, something with some hydroplaning resistance... the better they are the more expensive they are but i believe the highest/best wet tire is only like 110bucks max per tire.
just look at the tread life as well the tire may cost more than the cheaper tires BUT they can last longer as well!

for instance... stock size tires for my 99 ex
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tog...fcs=false&fcb=
the first ones only waranted till 40K miles price 43bucks
the last ones waranted till 90K miles and price 108bucks
almost twice the life in treadwear from 500 on the top and 800 on the better tire. really its abetter buy to buy a nice tire...

just read the reviews of the tires to help ya decide.
tires are what hold ya to the road! you dont want to cheap out. hell if you have to do like i do... replace the front 2 tires first, save somemore money up and when you can buy the rear tires to match.LOL been there done that will do it again

Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM

its the tires...what do u have on there right now?

Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

I'd like to make a plug for BFG Traction TA's. I have them on my car (97 EX) in the stock size. I have not had a problem with hydroplaning since I installed them. Winter traction is pretty good too. They handle pretty dang good on dry pavement too.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM
HCF Member

have you measured the tread depth? If so, what is the depth?

Old 08-14-2008, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

jesus christ...tires dont last forever people...cmon!!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

As said, it is your tires.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 PM
HCF Member

who said they did?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

Everyone giving suggestions.

Unless of course you think its something different, then I will hail to you and kiss your feet.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 PM

My friend had the same problem, On Wet or Dry roads, if he were to press the gas , The Tires would keep spinning and spinning , LAst time he did it, the car Said he was going 60 MPH when really we were going 15-20, It's your tires, just get new ones and you won;t see that problem.

Quick Reply: Driving on wet roads