General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ECU shut off switch

Old 09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I obviously cannot say that you are wrong, but I'm still very skeptical. I also think that 45 mpg is high even for a 5th generation Civic. Perhaps you inadvertently erred in calculating your mileage? In addition, even if you are correct for your Civic, which I doubt, disconnecting the ECU will not generally increase gas mileage for other member's Civics.

If you really believe in this effect, you need to test it using a scientific approach. This might be a good science project for you. In this case, you would drive your Civic IDENTICALLY for six consecutive gas tanks, alternating between gas tanks in which the ECU was or wasn't disconnected. This would give you three independent mpg values with or without the ECU disconnected. Let us know your findings.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i just dont believe it either... i think ya just forgot to clear the trip meter after filling up. which ive dont quite a few times as well. LOL
if anything my motors ran better after the computer relearned the motor and ran like crap while it was learning at first start up.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 AM
HCF Member
Default ummm or not

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
ya i just dont believe it either... i think ya just forgot to clear the trip meter after filling up. which ive dont quite a few times as well. LOL
if anything my motors ran better after the computer relearned the motor and ran like crap while it was learning at first start up.
ok... i hate to break it to u but if i forgot to clear my trip i woulda got like 80mpg.... what im saying is that i DONT KNOW 100percent if this is true thats why i installed the switch to see! i plan on doing some kind of test... and the high gas milage is because i drive 60 miles every day and 56 of it is highway. I may be young but im not dumb....

Old 09-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i dont know about you but i dont always wait till im on empty! hell i just filled up last week and only put in like 3gallons, forgot to clear the trip meter, and yesterday i filled up the tank to only get under 1 gallon in it with it saying 120miles on my trip meter.LOL its a woops... hell with gas prices droping so much hell im filling up my gas cans before this crap goes right back up for some BS reason, plus im gonna fill up every other day until prices do go back up!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:22 PM
HCF Member
Default OK THE RESULTS ARE IN-not really

ok so i did a lil pokin around with a test light and yes it is the 7.5amp "backup" fuse that feeds the ecu while the car is off. i swapped the fuse and fuse tap over to the 7.5 amp backup. i just filed up today and the last 3 tanks are as follows.... (i keep the recipes and write the trip millage on them)...
220 miles on 5.9gal= 37.28mpg
206 miles on 5.6gal= 36.78mpg
230 miles on 6.1gal= 37.70mpg

i will post "after" results when they occur

Old 10-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

for a eg that sounds about right any day....

Old 10-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by lilgreencivic
ok so i did a lil pokin around with a test light and yes it is the 7.5amp "backup" fuse that feeds the ecu while the car is off. i swapped the fuse and fuse tap over to the 7.5 amp backup. i just filed up today and the last 3 tanks are as follows.... (i keep the recipes and write the trip millage on them)...
220 miles on 5.9gal= 37.28mpg
206 miles on 5.6gal= 36.78mpg
230 miles on 6.1gal= 37.70mpg

i will post "after" results when they occur
How would you characterize the fraction of highway and city miles for calculating your mileage?

Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

also for best milage comparison drain the tank under 1/4tank at least.... the weight difference can effect milage as well.. i always get best milage on a low tank.... not that i recomend driving on e empty tank all the time.LOL

but how much weight is in the car can effect mpg as well as all your driving habits.
look at mythbusters they some what proved that driving in a good mood can give you better gas milage. which in theory its there! ya push the gas harder and longer and brake harder and speed more...
im sure it works for me because when im in a cool/chillen mood i coast longer and keep it light on the gas.... be in a happy mood that week and get better milage
but theres just so many factors youll never know IMO....
just be glad ITS A HONDA good milage is already good from factory...

Old 10-04-2008, 05:30 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
How would you characterize the fraction of highway and city miles for calculating your mileage?
i drive 60 miles EVERY day round trip to school then work then home... i would say that 90% of my driving is at or above 55. its a lot of highway/freeway driving so theres not any stops or any reason to slow down. I guess what im saying is that i accelerate to 55 and stay there until i reach my destination.

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
also for best milage comparison drain the tank under 1/4tank at least.... the weight difference can effect milage as well.. i always get best milage on a low tank.... not that i recomend driving on e empty tank all the time.LOL

but how much weight is in the car can effect mpg as well as all your driving habits.
look at mythbusters they some what proved that driving in a good mood can give you better gas milage. which in theory its there! ya push the gas harder and longer and brake harder and speed more...
im sure it works for me because when im in a cool/chillen mood i coast longer and keep it light on the gas.... be in a happy mood that week and get better milage
but theres just so many factors youll never know IMO....
just be glad ITS A HONDA good milage is already good from factory...
yeah i def am glad it gets good mpg cause my truck only gets 18. i always try to fill my tank when i have reached close to 200 miles on the trip cause then its about $20 which isnt very painful... (not like putting $100 in my truck )

Old 10-06-2008, 09:10 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by lilgreencivic
Ok so hears the deal.
The switch is a nice idea, good job with that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU shut off switch