General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

EG4 MT Vs EG4 AT with MT conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
HCF Member
Default EG4 MT Vs EG4 AT with MT conversion

Is it true that if you convert an AT to a MT it is gong to be faster that an OEM MT car??
I own now an EG4 OEM MT and i used to have an EG4 AT with a manual gearbox....I swear that the AT with the MT conversion was a lot of faster than the one i have....
Any ideas why??

Old 11-21-2008, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

No one can say anything about this??

Old 11-21-2008, 11:29 AM

If all you're taking into account is the transmission, they'll be exactly the same in all aspects, except for the one with the conversion will have some extra wiring hanging around not plugged into anything.
Although, it depends which transmission you used. If the transmissions on both cars are not the same as each other, the one with the shortest geared transmission (usually the transmission from the higher up model of the two transmissions in question) will have better acceleration.
Also, were the engines the same? I'm guessing they were because of the identical chassis code. Also, it also depends on the condition of the engines. I'm sure that both engines were not identical in condition.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Cereal Admin

+1, there's no difference in the performance of the engines coupled to auto/manual transmissions; they use the same exact engine for either. Any differences would have been in the transmission or the condition of the engine. Also, the swapped car probably felt faster because of the difference in performance of the auto and manual transmissions.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

That's makes sense but the different is also on how fast they coming up to the VTEC point...The ''AT'' on has the vtec point on 5700 and the MT has it on 5500..But i swear that the ''AT'' reaches the vtec point much more faster than the MT...Also i tried an MT ECU on the ''AT'' engine and the car became as slow as the ''MT'' engine...So i guess the difference is on the ECU and not on the engines
I also thought that maybe it was my idea but i test it so i am sure that the ''AT'' engine with MT is faster than the ''MT'' engine...Maybe the ECU settings of the ''AT'' are better just to gain the power that it loses because of the AT gearbox??It is really strange but a friend of mine had made the same thing(AT car with a MT gearbox) on an SIR Civic Ferrio and it was much more faster than the OEM MT SIR Ferrio....
BUT THE HUGE DIFFERENCE WERE ON THE SAME ENGINE WITH 2 DIFFERENT ECU's...MT ECU and AT ECU....

Old 11-22-2008, 03:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i say no difference but maybe the butt dyno will show improvements.LOL
my year Y7 MT feels alot faster than my Y8 AT.
not exactly how much faster my MT y7 is because its hard to hold a camera and shift.LOL with the AT it was easy to just hold the camera and gun it.LOL

Old 11-22-2008, 06:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
ya i say no difference but maybe the butt dyno will show improvements.LOL
my year Y7 MT feels alot faster than my Y8 AT.
not exactly how much faster my MT y7 is because its hard to hold a camera and shift.LOL with the AT it was easy to just hold the camera and gun it.LOL
As they are now yes it is normal to be faster the MT...Now if you put a MT on your AT car what is going to happen??This is what i am talking about mate....

Old 11-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i dont think it will be any different...
the motors are the same... only diference is flywheel and clutch and some wiring. and the computers you should swap them out for a manual computer so theres no difference except on the butt dyno.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:25 AM

Yeah man, it's all in your head.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

Both ECU (AT and MT ) are working with the ''Automatic'' engine but with the AT ECU the vtec point is on 5700 rpm and with MT is on the 5500 rpm and i am very sure that with the AT ECU it has much more better acceleration....Except if the replaced the chip on the AT ECU with a program on it,if that is possible...

Quick Reply: EG4 MT Vs EG4 AT with MT conversion