General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ek civic needs a engine

Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Default ek civic needs a engine

Ok so i just got a 98 civic ex 5 speed sohc. The engine was pretty old and worn out i knew i was gona have to replace it soon. The second day of drivein it it throw a main bareing and blew it up. . anyway Im looking into geting a new motor for it. Any suggesstions on what i should put in?. Also i found a deal for a lsv b18 dohc Led trans and a b series axels for 1500 . The motor has 85,000 on it. Does this deal seem to good to be true?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 AM

How much money do you have to spend? How much power would you like to see? How much experience do you have in the Honda modding scene?

LS/vtec may be like jumping in the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim.... especially with a motor that has been modified. If you research what this motor is and you like it. I would suggest to start out with the base motor (b18b1), then modify it yourself to install a vtec head. That way, you know everything is done correctly, and you know how to fix it if something goes wrong.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 AM

I only have about 1500 at the momment. The main thing is im looking for a engine i can put right into the car and not have to change up much.. brackets.. harness. Ive learned alot about how the d16y8 works altho its a different concept then a dohc.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM

1500 would probably get you a B18b1, Non-vtec DOHC integra motor. If you want, you can later on swap a vtec on it (b16a, or B18c) and have a ls/vtec.

Either swap it now, or save up for something better. I would just go with a B18c1 (GSR) motor. Same displacement as the B18b1, but quicker.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM

I was wondering about GSR motors but it seems like i see more people talking about lsv motors.. gsr is way more expensive though correct?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM

More people talk about it since it is technically more powerful than a GSR, and relatively easy to do. However, when taking a non-vtec bottom end and slapping a vtec head on it, you need to buy extra things like rod bolts not being able to withstand the higher revs from the vtec set-up etc etc, and worry about tuning ($$$). With a GSR swap, you can use a GSR ecu and be fine.

It really all depends on where you buy the parts from and how much you pay. You could find a GSR motor locally on like craigslist or something for about ~1200 and have it come with most everything you need. However, you know nothing about that motor and if it even runs. It is a chance of course.

Otherwise, you can buy a motor from a place like hmotorsonline.com and pay ~2500 or so and have basically everything you need for the swap right there, and also know that you will not have any problems with it mechanically.

Anyways, if you go with a B18b1, you are looking at about 1000-2000 for everything. If you go with a B18c1 (GSR motor), you are looking at about 1500-3000 for everything.

What are your plans for the car in the future? This motor swap and that's about it? Or do you plan on beefing up the internals, or possibly boosting? If we know you plans, or power goals, then it would be easier to help you with a motor selection.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM

ok thank you for all your knowledge! I ended up buying the lsv motor and put it all in. the motor was more then i even expected. Came with some inovative motor mounts. a fuel rail (cant think of the name) p28chipped ecu. a step down harness. So im pretty pumped..the motor is strong. I switched out the ecu and wired v-tec. Im planing on going turbo down the road a little. but for now the moneys getting saved for new tires control arms and struts