General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Exhaust

Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 AM
Default Exhaust

Hi Guys
Me and my friend both love civic's to bits, we both drive 1.4i 3 door hatch made in 1997, i have just had a full exhaust system installed (cat back). when we both race away from the lights he's always in front at bottom end revs then I take over at higher speeds, Is he getting away from the lights quicker because ive got a thicker pipe than he has? remember there the same cars he just hasnt got a full exhaust system hes just got a loud back box

Old 08-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Exhaust

Its hard to say really as every engine is different. Don't assume that simply because your cars are the same model, they will have the same power output figures. Engine wear and the quality of maintenance the cars have seen will be a big factor, seing as your car is 9yrs old. Differences in fuelling may also be to blame.

Also, having put a 'performance' exhaust to your car, you will have altered the peak power/torque figures. On revvy engines such as our little honda beauties, generally by fitting an open exhaust your peak power will now be slightly higher in the rev range. This sacrifices low-end torque. By fitting a Short ram intake you will most likely see better throttle response and pick-up. A cold air intake will make a difference at high speeds, but have an adverse effect on your torque/throttle response. I've tried both on my 1.4i '98 hatch, and have now have it somewhere inbetween. Best of both worlds really.

=chris=