General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

First Civic. Need some advice on lip styles

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Default First Civic. Need some advice on lip styles

Just got a '98 Civic DX Hatchback with manual trans. Right now its bone stock and the only exterior mods I want to do is a front and rear lip, rain guards, and Im planning on blacking out the headlight housing. The rest of my money will be spent on engine/performance parts. My hatch is silver with the stock black side skirts and the stock black wing/spoiler. So my thinking was to keep the front and rear lip unpainted/black which should look pretty good with the silver, and I could always end up painting them further down the road.

So my plan was to pick up this type R kit > 96-98 Civic JDM Type R Front + Rear Bumper Lip Kit 3Drs | eBay
But after thinking about it I dont think Im going to like the type R front lip, but Im not too sure since I havnt seen it in person. I also found a Sir front lip with the type R rear lip from the same seller, which costs $90 including shipping. > 96-98 Civic JDM Style SIR Front + Type R Rear Bumper Lip Kit 3Drs PU EK 2 | eBay

Can anybody give me some advice on which one of these front lips look better? Its kind of hard for me to decide without actually having seen either of them before

Old 02-07-2012, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

....thats the same lip.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 PM

My mistake, the pictures are a little deceiving and since there is a $20 price difference from the same buyer I figured they must have been a some sort of difference between the two.

Regardless, any thoughts on how the Type R front lip looks in person? The rear lip looks good to me so Im not too worried about that, just not sure how the front will look or if Im better off going with a Spoon or Mugen style lip. Thanks for the help

Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM

My vote is for the type r style.

Stock:
Name:  Newbumperfender2710.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  76.4 KB

Type R:
Name:  FrontLip1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  83.4 KB

Here is the rear:

I ended up getting rid of the rear in a trade as the fitment was terrible (sagged on the side) and I ended up finding a set of rear mugen spat replicas. Front fit much better from my experiences. It is still on the car to this date.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

personally, I like the spoon lip the best, but its really all about personal preference.