General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Fuel Mileage

ORIGINAL: 300mag

I can see that there is a lot of haters out there, I have no reason what so ever to lie about my mileage and being that I was driving since gas cost $0.27 cents a gallon I think that I can figure out how to check it. I start off slow never let the rpm get much above 2000 rpm coast to stop sign or lights and am driving in New Mexico where your dog can run away and you can stand on a tuna can and watch him for two days. I run AMSIOL 0w20 synthetic oil and shell mid grade gas. I don't have a detailed log book except over all MPG.
So with that said believe what you want but the bashing over MPG is so childish. Oh and Honda rates the auto at 2 more mpg on the hyway than the standered 34mpg for the 5 spd and 36 for the auto.
Not talking crap, we are all just wondering how its possible that your mpg is so high compared to everyone else

Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM

hypermiling = changing your driving habitsand/or modifying yourvehicleto increase your fuel economy

I think it's kind of like a video game, trying to get the highest score!

Also, in response to Gene's distrust of add-on computers:

I use a Scangauge and the initial setup was somewhat inaccurate (about 3-4mpg difference), but you canadjust itto compensate for the inaccuracy. Over the course ofabout twentytanks I've kept track of mileage with both the Scangauge and with the old method. I found that the Scangauge wasconsistently off bythe same percentage every time. So I recalibrated it and now itis accurate to+/-1%.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

Also, in response to Gene's distrust of add-on computers:

I use a Scangauge and the initial setup was somewhat inaccurate (about 3-4mpg difference), but you canadjust itto compensate for the inaccuracy. Over the course ofabout twentytanks I've kept track of mileage with both the Scangauge and with the old method. I found that the Scangauge wasconsistently off bythe same percentage every time. So I recalibrated it and now itis accurate to+/-1%.
I have been looking into buying one myself. I read a couple of reviews that said at low temps (40F) it was 12% over, and at higher temps (80F) is was 8% under. they had to keep recalibrating itfor temperature changes. Have you followed it long enough to check out whether indeed itdoes vary? One of the posters in the same review said it varied enough for him, that he only used it to show trends. What has been your experience? Some folks love it and some seem to hate it. It is confusing for me to decide to buy it or not.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Type RB
Good for you, stud. 'That car' probably got 45+ mpg when it was new... but that was a Helluva long time and lots of miles ago. And how can you possibly compare the mpg of an 5-year-newer HX against a VX with over 194,000 miles?

Did your car come with a blown engine and was basically just put it back together for cheap transportation? Didn't think so. Are you one of those 6'5" 300-lb monsters that basically has to fold up to get into your car like I am? I doubt it. Do you drive your car like an idiot like I do, or do you try to squeeze every last mile out of it? I'm guessing you're one of those 'coast when you can, low rpm-shifting' guys. I hammer mine because it can barely get out of its own way and it's kinda fun to drive. I used to scare little cars sh!tless in my '97 4x4 Dodge Ram - now I'm using one to save money. Considering the Ram usually gets around 12 mpg and the VX is so old (age & miles), I'm willing to cut it some slack.

And WTF, if I may ask, is 'hypermiling?'
My HX has 105,000 miles, I'm 5' 4" tall @ 150 lbs, I accelerate my car to 4500 RPM before I shift going to the hwy. I coast in neutral.

If you look at Gassavers.org in the forum a lot of hypermilers have the VX and share info on it.

I might cut n paste my mpg log after tax time.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM

I'll have to keep watching it into the summer to find outif the temp difference affects it. Mostly I bought it for the realtime mileage gauge, even if it's not 100% accurate it'll give you an idea of whether or not you are improving your mileagewith different driving techniques.

I really like having it. When I start driving faster and see my avg mpg dropping, it usually makes me slow down and try to get it back up. So it kinda keeps me in check.

I think its also very useful because it can read and reset engine codes/read most of your sensors, though it may be a year or twobefore I save enough money on gas to have paid for it (unless prices keep going the way they are).

Just compiling numbers real quickly:
Before the scangauge I averaged 35.54 and after 39.05.
Also my best single tank mileage before was 41.7 which was all highway going 60mph.
And after I've gotten 42.5 on a tank of mixed driving.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:49 PM

On my first tank of gas (2008 Civic DX manual) I got 42 mpg, and that's Imperial Gallons, so around34 mpg per U.S gallon. I can't understand how so many of you guys get such poor gas mileage out of your cars!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
HCF Member

Ok. I believe your math is wrong. It's 1.2 gallon/Imperial Gallon. So if you do your math correctly, that puts your 42 mpImperial Gallon at 35 US mpg. And I could possibly buy that number on a DX. No A/C and other minor accessories that would make it slightly lighter etc.

So that is why us with A/C and stuff on the EX and LX get lower gas milleage. But probably 33-34 on highway compared to your 35.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Jesse69

ORIGINAL: Type RB
Good for you, stud. 'That car' probably got 45+ mpg when it was new... but that was a Helluva long time and lots of miles ago. And how can you possibly compare the mpg of an 5-year-newer HX against a VX with over 194,000 miles?

Did your car come with a blown engine and was basically just put it back together for cheap transportation? Didn't think so. Are you one of those 6'5" 300-lb monsters that basically has to fold up to get into your car like I am? I doubt it. Do you drive your car like an idiot like I do, or do you try to squeeze every last mile out of it? I'm guessing you're one of those 'coast when you can, low rpm-shifting' guys. I hammer mine because it can barely get out of its own way and it's kinda fun to drive. I used to scare little cars sh!tless in my '97 4x4 Dodge Ram - now I'm using one to save money. Considering the Ram usually gets around 12 mpg and the VX is so old (age & miles), I'm willing to cut it some slack.

And WTF, if I may ask, is 'hypermiling?'
My HX has 105,000 miles, I'm 5' 4" tall @ 150 lbs, I accelerate my car to 4500 RPM before I shift going to the hwy. I coast in neutral.

If you look at Gassavers.org in the forum a lot of hypermilers have the VX and share info on it.
Well - there it is. significant differences I'd say. I'm basically hauling 2 of you around... and I don't coast anywhere (Texas is flat). 4200 is about where I shift from 2nd to 3rd on the on-ramp... after that: 3rd to 4th at 55mph, then 4th to 5th at 65mph. Cruising speed around 70 for 8 miles, then back into city driving for the remaining 3 to work.

Filled up today with 235 miles and only burned 6.29 gallons = 37.3 mpg. I guess it's because it's warming up to the high 80s here or something.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Apostle
So that is why us with A/C and stuff on the EX and LX get lower gas milleage. But probably 33-34 on highway compared to your 35.
I dunno man, my EX regularly gets into the 40mpg range.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:59 PM
HCF Member

Code:
 I dunno man, my EX regularly gets into the 40mpg range.
Well, you have an 05 EX. We're referring to the newer cars. Like 08'. What kind of hp do they 05's get? When I got my 08 they said 140 stock. Did they bump the hp up after the 05, 06, 07?

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage