General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

An FYI for those considering platinum plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:35 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation An FYI for those considering platinum plugs

I recently(about 2 weeks ago) did a tune up and bought some NGK Blues and their GP plugs(platinum) and all was well until this Friday when I had no spark and had to tow my car to my buddy's shop.... it turns out that the igniter and or coil went bad.

Now, Im not saying that the platinum tipped plugs are what caused this, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Well as the story goes, about a week after the tune-up, I read online at some automotive advice site that platinums will burn out a coil.

I then got really nervous and called the NGK USA offices and they reassured me that the platinum tipped plugs wont harm ANY part of my ignition system..... in fact they told me that the plugs are better for the ignition system and I will get slightly more pep and improved gas mileage (I knew that they were full of sh*t on this point, as the only if any benefit is longer plug life).

Well, a week later I had to replace my distributor (@ $159.... thank goodness my friend owns a shop!).

Now, Im not saying that the GP plugs caused this, but nonetheless..... heed my warning, stick with the OEM V-Power plugs!!!!

Last edited by babyivan; 09-14-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

I have heard that ngk is the only thing you should buy for a honda

Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cyberx32
I have heard that ngk is the only thing you should buy for a honda
the platinums I bought were NGKs

Old 09-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Good call, definitly stick with direct OEM replacements from NGK.

......rangers suck :P

Old 09-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Snail'n Admin

1 Step colder NGKs!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

In reality you have no proof, and this all could have been subject to chance that this all happened.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
In reality you have no proof, and this all could have been subject to chance that this all happened.
True. However this doesn't change the fact that the best thing you can run in a Civic is NGKs (non-platinum/irridium).

Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by GReddy_Civic
1 Step colder NGKs!
Those are mucho dinero!..... besides I believe you only need colder plugs for turbo or nitrous

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
you are 100% right.....
As I stated in my original post, it could be a coincidence for sure.

But, why chance it?
I say go with the NGK V power plugs that Honda recommends.
There is NO performance and MPG difference between the non-platinum tipped plugs vs. the platinum tipped plugs. The only benefit is the plug life of the platinums, and on our cars it's no big deal changing plugs.... takes about 5 minutes total. When I had my V6 Solara, platinums were recommended due to the fact that getting to the rear plugs were a major pain in the A-S-S!!

Originally Posted by Forty04
True. However this doesn't change the fact that the best thing you can run in a Civic is NGKs (non-platinum/iridium).
you think iridiums are ok?..... I was wondering about that.
I had put them in my Solara at one time(I didnt feel a difference in power though over the OEMs)

Last edited by babyivan; 09-15-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I would not run Iridium or Platinum in my honda (if I had one)

I always ran the standard NGK's on N/A, and one step colder on my boosted setup. FYI, I think NGK 1 step colders are only like $3 max. Not bad at all compared to the $12 per plug I'll have to cough up for my WRX.

You are correct, 1-step colder is only needed for F/I and high compression apps

Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 AM

I ran Iridiums a long time ago until I read on this forum that stock is the best thing for the car. Went to the store that day and bought NGK V-Power Plugs.

Stock plugs are great, don't waste money on anything else (unless you need colder ones for a reason)

Quick Reply: An FYI for those considering platinum plugs