General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:35 PM
HCF Member
Default gas

ok guys when i got my first car it waz a doge daytoina cs that had a lot of motor work done to it. i waz told to run nothin but 93 oct. i went a step further and ran 94 oct in it till i tottaled it.. i drove a truck around for a bout a yr and then i got my civic i just remember this and i started to look around for the gas and every sonoco around here has ultra 93 not 94 what happen to this gas and is there hope of ever seeing it again?

thanks steve

Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: gas

I am pretty sure that civics don't need the higher rated gas. Someone quoted the manuals earlier and the manuals even recommended the lowest rating. The point was made that it's not like you're treating your civic or something because it doesn't require/fully utilize the better gas.

*disclaimer* I'm not a car person, I'm just saying what I saw a few threads ago.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
HCF Member

well the car is far from stock and i no it dont nrrd it but it would give the car more power and it would burn cleaner.. but does any one no what happen to this fule?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You have to retune (increase compression, advance timing) to realize the potential of high octane. Once you do this your engine will not like regular at all. You don't get more power just putting premium in instead of regular if your car doesn't knock with regular.

I've never seen higher than 93 sold around here.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i know my local speedway gas station has racing fuel pump on the side of thier lot.... tho ive never realy seen anyone geting fuel from it.LOL

i dont see it hurting anything.... if ya do run higher, but as long as it runs fine on cheap stuff just keep using the cheap stuff. only time i use high octane fuel is after the cars been parked for awhile..... to kinda freshen up the gas tank

Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

well teh car does nock with reg in teh tank.. but that besides the point lol i waz only wondering wat happen to this fule it waz sold bye sonoco and it waz called ultra 94..

Old 11-17-2007, 08:27 AM

What is the normal octane in the US?

In UK it is 95 with 98/99 being a high performance fuel.

There is nothing lower than 95 here. But hey, as I said in another thread, it is $9 a gallon here! (No, I am not joking)

Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Here it is 87 regular and 93 premium. In some western states regular is 85 and I don't know what premium is.

They may use a different way to test the octane in the UK. There are at least two methods, "Research" and "Motor". One is always higher than the other so in the USA they average the two for the rated number (fine print on the pump sticker used to say "R+M / 2"). If they use a different testing method in the UK they could come up with a higher number for the same gas.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

very odd question, if your car is stock and it seems to be knocking, yet nothing is worn out, car idles smoothly, no vibrations or anything and its only under hard accelleration which it would knock (not even sure if thats what it is doing,) does that mean the timing is out?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

my car isent stock.....

Quick Reply: gas