General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Gauges or Apex-i S-AFC Neo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Default Gauges or Apex-i S-AFC Neo?

Which would be better with a turbo setup for monitoring a/f ratio, boost, etc.?
Does the S-AFC Neo even monitor a/f ratio? It says "air flow %" which i'm assuming is a/f ratio.

Anyway, which would be the easiest/least expensive way to monitor the engine?

AFC Neo is $400... would quality gauges and gauge components cost that much? Also, i'm wondering if the AFC Neo would be a better choice because I could street tune with the AFC Neo until I can get a pro tune on the EPROM, and then continue using the AFC Neo afterwards only for monitoring (i'm planning to be making around 200whp), or should I just get a basemap from Phearable or somewhere and monitor it with regular gauges and go get the tune?

Thanks for any input you may give, i'm trying to plan for a turbo project and I want to start buying the things I can install before buying/installing the actual turbo components, such as gauges, turbo timer, etc.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 10-22-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

the neo might have some sort of shortband a/f reading, but unless you have an wideband o2 sensor plugged into your exhaust somewhere, you're NOT gonna get a reading like a wideband gives you. The Neo is better than running a stock ECU, but you'll wanna get a chip/tune ASAP. I would get a basemap from Phearable, a wideband o2 sensor, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, and maybe even an exhaust gas temp gauge, see how everything is, and then, again, get it tuned ASAP.

Last edited by FlipHKD720; 10-23-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 PM

well i already have a socketed ECU from phearable and i'm running a I/H/E basemap right now, so i'll probably just go with getting a new basemap once i get the turbo stuff, and hopefully it'll be safe to drive to get a tune... i'll be able to determine that with the gauges
i see what you mean about the wideband. yea, i think i'm just gonna go with regular gauges because of that.
got any recommendations for relatively inexpensive quality gauges, and where to get them?
i already know where to get a pillar pod

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
HCF Member

AutoMeter makes great gauges, and they make boost, oil pressure and EGT gauges. My PLX300 wideband was pretty cheap and works perfect. And yeah you can go and order just the custom Eprom chips from Phearable. Just tell them all your turbo setup specs and they will give you a new chip. Put the new basemap in your socketed ECU and then get that thing tuned.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
HCF Member

definetily just need the guages. All you really need is a boost guage if you are bringing it to a tuner but a wideband would be great especially if you are tuning yourself. The neo sounds pointless plus not possible to datalog with.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 AM
HCF Member

Well if it's his DD and he wants to be safe, i think it would be a better idea to monitor A/F at all times, along with oil pressure and exhaust gas. I don't think theres anybody that has ever been boosted and bought a wideband and regretted being able to get an acurrate A/F reading at all times.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 AM

yea i'd feel more comfortable being able to monitor a/f at all times
hell, it'd be nice to monitor a/f even without a turbo, it'd help tell if anything's wrong with the car or not

Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
HCF Member

Apexi NEO= Fail. I had one and hated it.
Use the 400 bucks somewhere else, AEM Uego wideband is what I have in both my turbo and nitrous car and I like it. You can also use it for datalogging too, from what I read in the directions.
Downfall is that the AEM wideband is 250 bucks, but well worth it I think.
I tried tuning with the Neo and it just pissed me off. So definatly get the gauge.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 AM

alright
thanks for the advice guys

i was originally planning on gauges, and ran into this, and then the fact that it's a fancy electronic device is kinda luring and it looked like it would be a good alternative, but i'll take your guys' word and stick to my original plan of the gauges
i'll look for autometer gauges
where do you think is the best place to buy them?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

Btw, don't cheap out on a narrowband a/f ratio gauge, cause they don't do anything. Or so I've been told.

Quick Reply: Gauges or Apex-i S-AFC Neo?