General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

glare on front window from dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Default glare on front window from dash

i have never had a honda with a glare problem like this. it seems the curvey dash above the gauges reflects the sunlight in the window and makes it very dangerous when the sun is shining from the front of the vehicle.

does anyone else have this problem? or a solution to this?!?

Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Default RE: glare on front window from dash

yeah....it's kinda annoying but i dont know of any alternative

Old 10-03-2005, 09:47 PM

Sunglass w/ quality UV Protection.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:02 PM

it is physically blinding during my commute in the mornings and evenings when the sun is in front of me.

i have tried sunglasses but that is not a good solution. it is extremely high contrast, where the sun reflects from the top of the bubble shape (on the dash above the gauges) to where it does not reflect further back on the dash (by the glass). so when i put on sunglasses it darkens it all, making it hard to see out of other parts of the windshield.

a few weeks ago i threw a black tshirt up there and it fixed the problem entirely. however, the shirt is obviously not a permanent solution. so i purchased a civic car dash cover. this is as form fitting as possible, but it still looks like a floormat up on my dash. it is really aweful looking.

any other suggestions??? thank you!!

Old 10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
HCF Member

Armor All makes that low gloss stuff. It may help some and still protect it, but a cover is going to be your only solution probably.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 PM

i use ArmorAll but i still have the problem but it's not too big of a problem, sounds like it helps me cuz it dosent bother me as much as you

Old 10-04-2005, 08:16 AM

i am a HUGE honda fan. even my motorcycle is a honda... however, this is perhaps the biggest functionality flaw i believe they have overlooked! you would think after 8 generations of civics they wouldn't have a problem like this. (yes, i did notice the new civics have this problem as well.):

it is mostly my commute (or whenever the sun is in front of my vehicle) that this causes a problem.

i am hoping there is some sort of matte finish (no shine at all) dash cover (kinda like a giant vinyl sticker or something). something just to cover the bubble area on the dash (above the gauges). since the civic car dash cover doesn't look that great at all.

anyone know about a matte finsh dash cover for the civic that doesnt look too bad? thanks!!

Old 10-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Oakley sunglasses, end of story

Old 10-04-2005, 08:31 AM

sunglasses do not work.. please read previous post about high contrast glare.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 AM

what color is your interior? i have the same problem on my '01, and it drives me crazy. i have the beige interior, so my dash is a light brown color. i'm thinking there isn't really any way to alleviate the problem if you've got a light gray or light brown dash....i wonder if people with the black interiors have this problem? making the finish dull may help, but i think a lot of it depends on the color of the dash. i've also used t-shirts to cover the area when it's real bad. that's the only ugly solution i've found that works.

i also have an issue with the gauge cluster bottom panel and sunlight. the bottom panel is kind of a shiny black color, and if light hits that, it bounces up onto the plastic covering my gauges and makes it hard to see the gauges. it also mimicks the visual disturbances i get when i get migraines, so i feel nauseous when that happens....so i can't see how fast i'm going and i feel like throwing up. wonderful!

Quick Reply: glare on front window from dash