General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

headlights going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Default headlights going crazy

so today around sundown, i was driving with my lights switched to on, but when i got behind another car i saw my cars reflection on the back and noticed only my corner lights were on (and halos - they're wired to the parking lights). My brights would work though. So when i get to my friends house i check the fuses and such, and everything checks out. So i go to turn back on my lights and they work just like normal. Then when i go to turn them off, they stayed on, while the parking lights turned off like they're supposed to. I turned my light switch back on and then off, and the lights turned off like normal. So i experiment with this for a few minutes, and it turned out that whenever i turned my light switch off too fast, my lights stayed on.

I have anzo projectors, and they have special wiring. There are two red wires coming from the battery, with a 15 amp fuse for each one, and then they plug into 1 of the original headlight wires (i assume this is so the switch can control the headlights) and then into each headlight.

My headlights did this for the first 5 minutes they were in my car, which was about 2 months ago, and since then they have worked normally.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why they would stay on after being turned off, or why they didn't work when i was using them tonight.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Default RE: headlights going crazy

headlights seem to be working normal again...
wtf

Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think your Combination Switch is sporadically faulty. If the problem continues or worsens, troubleshoot the headlight component of the switch as described in the pictures.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 PM

thanks, that might be the problem

Old 12-16-2007, 07:11 PM

how do i check for continuity between the terminals

Old 12-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You can do it with an inexpensive continuity tester or multimeter.

With a continuity tester, the test light will turn ON when there is continuity.

With a multimeter, continuity is demonstrated by the absence of resistance (very low or no Ohms).

Either can be purchased from a hardware or auto parts store.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM

alright
thanks
i will try this if the problem comes up again

Old 12-18-2007, 08:54 AM

this morning i got up to drive to school and turned my headlights on... and the headlights didn't turn on. high beams would work, as well as parking lights/halos. I forgot to mention there are 2 relays in the wiring (either 1. one for each headlight, or 2. one for the low beam and one for the high beams - i'm not sure which). I'm wondering if it could be something wrong with the relay? or still probably the switch?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If it is simple to unplug all the HID stuff and hook up halogen bulbs to the stock wiring for testing, that would help confirm if it is the light switch or something with the conversion.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

I think your Combination Switch is sporadically faulty. If the problem continues or worsens, troubleshoot the headlight component of the switch as described in the pictures.

also, if it's sporadically faulty, will there always be no continuity if the switch is the problem? For example, could i check it and it turn out there is continuity, even though the switch could still be possiblyfaulty - since it only happens sometimes?

Quick Reply: headlights going crazy