General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Headliner removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default Headliner removal

Anyone know how to properly take the headliner off? Mine is messed up and I want to cover it with vinyl or something, but first it needs to come off.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Headliner removal

first you need to take all the pillers off ,front and back, that help hold the headliner up, then you need to take your dome light off aswell, and you need to unscrew your sun visers as well..at this point you should have nothing solid holding it up, then you just need to put your hand under it and pull down, its held on by velcro...open up your back seats and slide it through your trunk and try not to bend it to much

Old 09-22-2006, 07:34 PM

Take out your back seats, take out the rear interior panels on both sides of the rear seats, take out the rear parcel deck cover, then take off the b-c pillar covers, then remove the center trim cover between the c pillars, then remove the a pillars, then remove the sun visors, sun visor hooks, mirror, passenger grab handel, driver side rear coat/shirt hanger (if so equiped), the the dome light. Now there will be two lil coin shaped push tabs above the rear passenger seat area, you will want to get a pannel remover (the one that looks like a two pronged fork with a slight bend in it for leverage) and slide it under the head of the lil tab (go from the center out)....... If you do not do this you will bend the roof support downward. Those two lil push tabs and the lock tabs on the visor clips were the two things I had problems with (beyond the normal pannels not wanting to release), the lock tab on the visor clips hast to be pushed back. You do so with a lil flat head screw driver from the front side of the clip (towards the windshield) in the lil opening, just push n turn the clip and it shoud turn 90 degrees and then be pulled down n out.

Once everything is removed the headliner will simply fall down since there is nothing holding it in. GO SLOW and you should be fine.... Oh and if you lay both driver and passenger seats flat back you can turn the headliner pull it out either door (just another option over the trunk route)

...there might be slight differences since you've got a sedan...

Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Cat Fuсker

are the pillar covers held by clips or am I looking for hidden screws?

Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

the pillers that you would put a piller pod on?, they are held in by clips in the back..you just need to pull, they are HELL to put them back on with the clips

Old 09-23-2006, 11:20 AM

my b-c pillar covers (coupe) were hell to get off[&:].