General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

help a noob out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Default help a noob out!

doing a service on my moms corolla (i know i wish she would get a civic lol) uhh wanted to make sure i did the small basics which was

oil, oil filter , air filter , tire rotation. is there anything else i might need thats (VITAL) or am i correct and that should be it?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Default RE: help a noob out!

also check the tire pressure, and the spare tire pressure. Make sure to top off the fluids: windshield washer fluid, brake fluid, etc..

Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 PM

thanks.! so i shouldnt worry about like coolant? (flushing it) cuz its a 2004 corrola LE has 26k miles so i hear coolant is to be changed like every 30-60

Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 PM

If it only has 26k, you shouldn't have to worry about coolant yet. Never hurts to check it though.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 PM

if i did flush it. is this what i would have to do

1 drain coolant from under the radiator

2 flush the system with water (until its flushing out clean water)

3 then put in new coolant

(i also ask this becuase i hear that theres another place where u have to leak the coolant out of.. some kinda main pipe i think

Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 PM

http://www.automedia.com/Flushing/Yo...cr20010501rm/1

You might want to check your manual and review your maintenance schedule.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 AM

so as i read, the only thing i was off on was the coolant plug on the engine block i assume

Old 06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: JohnnyTEAMDSR

doing a service on my moms corolla (i know i wish she would get a civic lol) uhh wanted to make sure i did the small basics which was

oil, oil filter , air filter , tire rotation. is there anything else i might need thats (VITAL) or am i correct and that should be it?
Consult the owner's manual. You should also get a factory Service Manual if you plan to work on the car. It's better than Chilton's or Haynes, and MUCH better than the owner's manual. I'd also look at the plugs and wires, grease the chassis, and inspect the brakes, belts, and hoses. If it hasa cabin filter, check that. Fuel filter may be due soon too. Most of these should still be fine with that little mileage though.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 PM

my mechanic told me i shud change everything every time i change my oil . even timing belts and waterpumps? that a fact?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: JohnnyTEAMDSR

my mechanic told me i shud change everything every time i change my oil . even timing belts and waterpumps? that a fact?
Negative. The timing belt should be changed every 60-100K miles on a Civic. You have to dismantle part of the engine to get to it. Most people recommend changing the waterpump, thermostat, and timing belt together, because a lot of the same parts have to be moved to get to them. Your mom's Corolla only needs a timing belt if the existing one goes bad. If the timing belt on a Civic breaks, the motor is lunched.

With an oil change, typically the oil, oilfilter, crush washer (if applicable), and chassis lube are done. Many people also check the airfilter, cabin filter (if applicable), hoses, AC/alternator/PS belts, coolant level and concentration, battery terminals, brake/PS fluid level and cleanliness, and the tire pressure and wear pattern. Every other oil change, the tires are also rotated, the brake linings are checked, and the coolant is flushed/refilled with the proper seasonal mix (in extreme climates).

Again though, consult the owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommended service intervals. It can be different for every vehicle.

Quick Reply: help a noob out!