General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help With V-Tec

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Default Help With V-Tec

Does Any One KNOw IF you Can Convert A non Vtec Motor To A V-Tec Motor??

Old 09-05-2008, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

If you get a Vtec head, ecm, and a few other things, yes...... That's one of the things I'm planning for, when building my new motor.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:26 PM

yea you sure can
check out the Mini-me conversion thread in our DIY drivetrain section
it should tell you a lot
basically you put the VTEC head on your non-VTEC block, pull out the oil jet in the block, put the new ECU in, and run a wire from the VTEC solenoid to the ECU.
that's the basics

P.S. TaLKiNg LiKE DIs is hella annoying and is for 14 year old girls.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 09-06-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:39 AM
HCF Member

I personally dont see the big deal about vtec, Ive had my EX for 4 months now and I might have dipped into it once or twice. It kicks in at pretty high rpms, and I dont feel comfortable pushing my little 1.6 to the limits.... not to mention the 5 speed tranny probably not liking it.

I would love to throw in a k22 and turbo it...... that's where the real power comes from!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by babyivan
I personally dont see the big deal about vtec, Ive had my EX for 4 months now and I might have dipped into it once or twice. It kicks in at pretty high rpms, and I dont feel comfortable pushing my little 1.6 to the limits.... not to mention the 5 speed tranny probably not liking it.

I would love to throw in a k22 and turbo it...... that's where the real power comes from!
Try a DOHC vtec. Thats when you really feel it

Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM

that's because you're not supposed to feel it!
there is no kick (assuming VTEC point hasn't been tampered with, or it has been adjusted properly during a tune). it's supposed to be a smooth changeover.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

the best way to feel sohc vtec is the swap and a cam the fifference in eg vtec and nonvtec is 23hp

Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

and the cam can make the difference even more witha bad *** intake manifold and exhaust

Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
that's because you're not supposed to feel it!
there is no kick (assuming VTEC point hasn't been tampered with, or it has been adjusted properly during a tune). it's supposed to be a smooth changeover.
I think you quoted the wrong post, I never mentioned anything about whether I feel "it" or not, I just dont see all that big a difference between the SOHC vtec and the SOHC non-vtec.

I agree with cyberx32 about the DOHC.... then it probably makes a difference whether you have vtec or not(of course we all know the DOHC motors only come with vtec).

My initial point was, I dont think it's worth it to convert a SOHC non-vtec to a vtec..... better off with an engine swap to a B or K series.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 AM

I think you quoted the wrong post, I never mentioned anything about whether I feel "it" or not, I just dont see all that big a difference between the SOHC vtec and the SOHC non-vtec.
I read wrong. I thought you were referring to kick as an actual kick. You meant something entirely different.

(of course we all know the DOHC motors only come with vtec).
That's incorrect.
There are many non-VTEC DOHC Honda motors.
For example, the Integra LS motor.

Quick Reply: Help With V-Tec