General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

High Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Default High Performance

Everyone here seems to be interested in maximizing the performance of their vehicle. I think that's cool but I am more interested in maximizing my fuel economy (high gas prices), increasing my stopping power, and fine tuning my suspension for increased handling. When the gas prices go down (if they ever will) I might think about adding some modifications to my engine.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Default RE: High Performance

I am also interested in getting good mileage, but I'd also like to have extra power available if I should want/need it for whatever reason. As far as I know, an intake, headers, and an exhaust will help maximize your gas mileage, but I'm not sure how much or what other mods, if any, will also help.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Welcome aboard! ^He's right, I/H/E will defintiely help your fuel ecomony. Utilize the search feature at the top of the page, as i'm pretty sure there are a few threads covering this topic. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2005, 09:04 AM
HCF Member

95 civic DX hatch...Stock 33 mpg on highway
Short ram intake (SRI) 36-37 mpg highway
New greddy SP2 exhaust...will let you know after a few more tanks of gas, but it does sound nicer.

INTAKE...now...just do it.

other ideas.......
if you can spare the cost of tires, you could run them with a higher pressure like 35-38 psi, and stay away from the large rims and thick wide tires. Skinny and small are your friends due to less rolling resistance.
Strip the car of any extra weight. I mean if you a really serious about it take out the back seat...go without a spare tire, carbon fiber everything, and hey you don't really need AC or power steering do you???
Uhm...that's all for now unless you like to draft big rigs....kinda hard on the paint, but you mileage goes way up.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:16 AM

Yes, its true, most performance mods will increase your MPG. The reason this is not a popular thing to do though is when you have more power you tend to drive a lil different and will get less MPG cause your driving is more aggresive then before.

If you were to setup a turbo right, to maximize your volumetrice effinciency you could get some super duper ultra MPG becuase the turbo runs off of wasted energy anyways. But if you put it on there you will have so much fun flooring it you will forget about MPG.

Honestly, if you truly only want MPG and dont care about modding the care, Id say take the 200 bucks you are looking to spend on an intake and put that away for gas. Everytime you fill up use 5 bucks of it, that should bring gas prices down about 50 cents a gallon. No other mod will do that for 200 bucks.

ALthough I like the idea of brake and suspension upgrades.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: LEVIII

If you were to setup a turbo right, to maximize your volumetrice effinciency you could get some super duper ultra MPG becuase the turbo runs off of wasted energy anyways. But if you put it on there you will have so much fun flooring it you will forget about MPG.
Exactly what I was going to say. The turbo-kits.com crx (b16 swap, turbonetics, 240whp) gets 25-29 mpg on the highway, and thats tuned for racing.

http://www.turbo-kits.com/events.html

Old 08-18-2005, 12:56 PM
HCF Member

also,real basic stuff, keep your oil clean and new, keep all of your filters clean, put some cleaner into your fual tank that will clean ur injectors and stuff.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:49 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I will definetly look into upgrading my I/H/E. I was curious to read the message stating that smaller rims equals better fuel economy. I was told that larger rims equals better fuel economy due to decreased rubber. Does anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2005, 09:47 PM
HCF Member

bigger rims= bigger weight...do the math

Old 08-18-2005, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: mbking2004
Thank you all for the advice. I will definetly look into upgrading my I/H/E. I was curious to read the message stating that smaller rims equals better fuel economy. I was told that larger rims equals better fuel economy due to decreased rubber. Does anyone here have experience with this?
I think whoever told you that, meant that the outside diameter of the tire was larger than the stock tires. In that case, you would get better mileage only on the highway, after you got your tires rolling. In the city your mileage would decrease because you would need increased inertia to get em rolling all the time.

Quick Reply: High Performance